Compression Test Results

Guest boggie

Guest boggie

Hi All,

I don't think I have a problem but it's more a point of personal interest: What is the exceptable divergence between cylinder compression? I have a lightened / blueprinted / overbored pinto fitted with a brand new Maxiflow 2 head, skimmed to 10.5:1 with a Kent RL31 cam. Just bought a compression tester to investigate a friend's sick engine so I thought I would try it on my newly rebuilt engine. Here are the results of my compression test cranking on the starter with throttle wide open:

Cyl 1 = 167psi / 11.7 KG/cm3

Cyl 2 = 170psi / 11.9 KG/cm3

Cyl 3 = 176psi / 12.3 KG/cm3

Cyl 4 = 174psi / 12.2 KG/cm3

The largest differend between cylinders (no1 and no3) is a little over 5%. Is this within normal accepted tollerances? I would have thought they would be closer but I am clearly no expert.

Many thanks, Boggie

Guest chris brown

God I’ve seen lots of rebuilt engines worse than that. I would suggest yours is as near perfect as you are likely to get BTW better than 15 psi deviation is the accepted norm

God I’ve seen lots of rebuilt engines worse than that. I would suggest yours is as near perfect as you are likely to get BTW better than 15 psi deviation is the accepted norm

I too have seen worse and would be very happy with those results .

Mike

Guest boggie

Thanks Guys,

Glad to hear that! I made a schoolboy error timing the cam (timed it to exhaust not inlet). Luckily I tried turning the engine over with a socket on the crank before turning the key (I always do this, just in case). When I found I could not turn it, I tried rocking the car in first gear. Then I noticed my dial gauge was sitting on the wrong rocker! I was worried that I may have done some damage but now I know that I got away with it!

Nearly there now. All I have to do now is brakes (4 discs, 4 calipers, change the brake fluid), MOT and then try and finally sort the cooling system properly!

Cheers, Boggie