Caterham R500 Vs Ducati

Guest vacinc

Guest Toejam

What a strange choice of Bike to put it up against ! You'd expect them to pick one of the big 4 Cylinder sports bikes that are a bit better known.

Guest salty_monk

Only in a straight line... those supermoto & hypermoto bikes are awsome bits of kit for the twisties. I doubt a GSXR1000 or Busa or anything of those higher horse power bikes would have been much faster round that course.

Dan :)

Guest Toejam

Busa's can't go around corners !!! But the R1's / R6's ZZR's etc would be mor than a match for a super moto on a proper tarmack track. Not to mention the R500. (I expect !!) Any of the road going versions of a BSB bike should have done the trick. (won't argue the fact the R500 would have the lot in a corner though)

Guest SMR610

Had a few supermotos and your right they`re great in

the twisties but unless the twisties are really twisty and

there`s lots of them any advantage is all but gone cos

you loose so much on the straights.

Like Toejam said Busa would be no good but a GSXR750

wouldn`t be a bad choice.

Guest timswait

That was a damn twisty course, full of off camber bumps too. I've got the mag with the full article in. The times for the cars they tested around the course were:

Caterham R500 1m43.18s

Lambo Murcielago LP640 1m51.9s

Mitsubutshi Evo X 1m52.83

BMW M3 1m52.9

Audi RS6 Avant 1m53.18

Lotus Elise SC 1m53.62

Renault Megane R26 1m53.83

Ducati 1100S 1m55.03

Subaru Impreza STi 1m55.95

Jaguar XF SV8 1m57.12

Basically the Caterham was in a league of it's own. Almost 9 seconds quicker than the Lambo, so it beat the Lambo by more than the Lambo beat the Jag. Very impressive. I think a full blown sports bike may have been a tad quicker but not much on that track. It was too bumpy and twisty, the rider was just hanging on, and taking off at at least one point. The top speed was 95mph (in the Caterham) and max G force was 1.45g (also in the Caterham). don't think there's any road legal vehicle on 4 wheels or two that could touch the Caterham around that particular track in the dry, and that includes a Veyron.