Ok This Is The Ticking Noise

Guest fozzy2007

Guest fozzy2007
A good way to find out where the noise is coming from is to use a long screwdriver with your ear against it and touch various bits of the engine (be careful) and you should be able to tell where abouts its definitely coming from.

I can't really tell from the video but a friend of mine had a similar knock and it turned out to be one of the main bearings had worn through and fallen into the sump leaving the crank to wobble around. Replacing the bearings sorted problem. Does it get worse with different engine load. From memory it was worse for my mate when the engine was working hard.

Just a suggestion. You may be able to check by dropping sump before dismantling the engine. If nothing else shows up.

Andy

not sure what you mean by load but the higher you rev the faster the noise gets but it stays the same pitch when driving it

Ahhh, what if you can't drill out the offending snapped-off stud, and despite repeated attempts all you do is knacker drill bits? :huh: Speaking hypothetically of course, not that I've snapped an exhaust stud or anything, honest :blush:

Guest SEgan
Ahhh, what if you can't drill out the offending snapped-off stud, and despite repeated attempts all you do is knacker drill bits? :huh: Speaking hypothetically of course, not that I've snapped an exhaust stud or anything, honest :blush:

Centre punch, use a good quality sharp drill bit, drill very slowly and use lots of lube. :huh:

Guest chris brown

If there is any thing standing proud of the head then try welding a nut on to it the heat often frees the thread and it can be wound straight out. Other than that pilot drill down the middle. Nice sharp drill about 3mm take it slowly with plenty of lube, follow this up with a larger drills up to 5.5 or 6mm then try an easy out. But whatever you do don’t break the easy out in the hole. If it still doesn’t want to move I would drill oversize and fit a helicoil. This is speaking hypothetically of cause.

Guest jaybe

Hi,

I have a dutton that I fitted a gbs bike carb manifold to and had a leak because the studs bottomed out. You can hear how it sounded before I packed out with washers here

and after

John

Guest a8dyc
Hi,

I have a dutton that I fitted a gbs bike carb manifold to and had a leak because the studs bottomed out. You can hear how it sounded before I packed out with washers here

and after

John

Eh you going be in trouble driving on that side of the road. :D

Guest AWhite

You could use a stud extractor. Its like a threaded cone - you drill a small hole in the stud then screw the stud extractor into the stud and the turning action pulls it further in and should start to turn the stud out. Having said that i've never had much success with them.

Blimey helicoils and stud extractors in one thread! :rolleyes: Nobody can say hoodies dont know there sh!t.