Awning Track

Guest Jan

Thanks Guys, I was trying to bend it as though to fit at the front of the screen rather than to the top hence why it kinked so easily. Bending it on its back though makes life easier (I Hope). Reference to the sealent are you just using normal sillicone sealent like clear bath sealent or is there some kind of super tuff sticky one you all use.?? and while Im on here, when fitting the poppers round the back did you use threaded bolts with a big penny washer on the back or a strip of wood to screw into, Im just thinking that if there were a lot of tension on them wouldnt they cause a bit of buckling on the S/S ? or am I being silly now (No need to answer that last question) :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the tips, tricks and help

Hi

They're talking about Polyurathene adhesive, like Sikaflex.

On my 'spec i drilled the poppers screws into the top frame around the rear, through the GRP boot cover

e

Hi

Sealant tends to be sikaflex, tigerseal ( mine. no screws) type ,or even the sealant that the double glazing contractors use to fit the beads..

Standard bathroom silicon is too soft and not sticky enough!!

Graham

Thanks again for all the help, Wish me luck!! I have another question, nothing to do with the hood this time, I need to adjust the springs up a bit harder as I keep grounding it on the angle that the handbrake cable goes through just below where the seats are, a hell of a noise and just when your not expecting it, who sells the spanner? I tried ebay with no luck. cheers all

• 6 months later...
3 core mains cable worked for me.

I know it's an old topic, but I have bent the awning rail this weekend for fitting on the front of the screen - thought I would post the method that worked for me:

Make a wooden former,

Screw both the rail (it had holes every foot) and the former to another piece of timber

Smear the bend area with washing up liquid (acts as an indicator as to when the aluminium is suitably hot - goes black)

Heat bend area of aluminium

Insert length of old pinto timing belt into 'gap' of rail

Bend (with gloves)

Will post some pix once it's all together.