Awning Track

Guest Jan

The aluminium is very soft and I found to my surprise that you can bend the radius on each end quite easily without the channel 'crimping' up. I cut out a template of 6mm MDF to bend around, but because the aluminium springs back slightly I re-cut the template with a sharper radius and bent it to that shape to allow it to spring back to match the curve of the windscreen.

A good tip is to leave at least a foot or so at either end otherwise you won't have enough leverage to make the bend, and take it slow.

The awning rail I bought had a slightly concave rather than flat bottom which matched the profile of the windscreen rail very well. As such it only needed a thin bead of poly sealant to fix it down permanently.

Guest craig030774

saw mark evans doing this on a land rover

so had a go myself works a treat

coat ali with soap (washing up liquid ) heat with a blow gun until soap goes black with a gloved hand bend to shape job done

i fixed awning rail to windscreen and did the above and looks great oh and the black does rub off

craig

Im Much obliged to you all, Any close ups of the track on the screen would be great, I assume you fit to the front of the screen frame and not the top ( Must be to the front edge ) Thanks for the help and wish me luck :rolleyes:

Guest salty_monk

It uses a thick nylon cord from memory, mine has it too (think they came from the same guy. Might even be the plastic coated "washing line" stuff.

Yes, it's waterproof not like the old Poppers!

Dan :)