Finally Decided To Quit After 10 Years

Guest peteinbeds

Guest peteinbeds

After 10 years of trying to get the panels to fit, speedo cable to line up, and the side panels to actual look good when they are attached to the rear mud guards. I have have called an end to the project.

I have to admit I havent worked on the car properly in about 4 years, but I restarted this week and realised why I stopped. I dont think that I have the stamina (or the right garage size) to carry on. To all you owners out there who have managed to complete it well done.

I lost my temper with it today, so there aren't many panels left but I am going to get rid of most of the RH parts (I am keeping enging gearbox and some running gear. if there are parts anyone needs let me know and i have them or I am getting rid of them we could come to some arrangement.

Would like to hear from others who have got frustrated as I haveover the years and how you managed to stay sane

Guest Nikeluk

Chin up old lad, I know you don't mean it. If you've done 10 years what's another couple just to finish it off? You owe it to yourself at least. :unknw:

Guest Jabberwocky

My mate has been building a GTM for 16 years. He has spent the last 18 Months deciding what engine to put in it. If he can keep going I am sure you can.

I am sure if you ask nicely someone could pop around to point you in the right direction. Come on chin up, do you really want a bit of metal to beat you?

You are only a beginer a woman came talking to me in the road the other day about my car ,and said her husband was building one . i asked what it was, and she said a spartan ,i replied he has had that a while then to which she replied

he has been building it 27 years and has nearly finished. Is that a record?

Dave

Guest shaggy

Record maybe for a kit car - but a mate of mine has been rebuilding an MGTA for the past 43 years. He promised both his daughters a lift to the church when they got married - but failed. He said today he'd be lucky to get it done in time for his grandaughters weddings - they are in their early teens.

Si

Guest Ian Marr

At about 8 years, it looks like I have some way to go to reach my 'goal' ...! :rolleyes:

However, peteinbeds, sounds like camel, back and straw met on unfavorable terms ...

Also sounds like the cherished panels have taken a good kicking!

But where there is a will there is a way ... I'm sure some local hoodies can help relight your will.

Go on have another go ... you know you want to!

Ian

Guest peteinbeds

I may very well have been convinced. I will roll it back out of the garage. straighten the panels and start again. think I will need to literally start right at the beginning. dont be surprised if I dont come back for help especially on the pedals and the footwells.

Guest mastarforth

Good luck mate

Chin up, Many times I thought it would be better to quit, but driving one reminds you why you struggled throught the diffidult times.

Andrew

Guest Ian & Carole
I may very well have been convinced. I will roll it back out of the garage. straighten the panels and start again. think I will need to literally start right at the beginning. dont be surprised if I dont come back for help especially on the pedals and the footwells.

Pete

1st thing to do is update your profile so people know where you are.

Come on here 100 times a day if you need to, you will always get a responce :D :rolleyes: some might even be helpful :o

This is what being a hoodie is about, helping each other through the hard times.

Come to a show and take a ride in a car, have a drive in one, you are more than welcome to take mine for a spin at Newak if you come.

Seems you need your spark re-lighting.

Ian J

hi as ian says have a go in one and get the smile back .

peteinbeds

where are you are you in beds? or into beds ?

if your in my area ?let me know . if i can help in any way just pm me i have a trailer and could get it here and see if we could get you pushed on a bit .

but you would have to do your bit.

regards graham

Guest peteinbeds

I am in Luton

Have stripped the panels off and I am starting again. I had problems with the footwell I couldnt get them to st square to the floor so I had to redesign them so that they were at an angle of 70 - 80 degrees to the floor this resulted in there being a restriction in the pedal movement and a bugger of a job to fit the throttle pedal. I was under the impression that they were supposed to be square to the floor.

Guest salty_monk

They should be square to the floor from my memory of the early one I had...

Lots of pictures always helps. Do you have a digi camera? If not go pick up a cheap one, it will be invaluable.

Dan :)