Ignition Timing

Guest horncock

Dear Horncock, the mystery man, don't give much away in your member profile!

I have 12° advance at tick over with vacuum disconnected using a 285 cam on unleaded; it doesn't pink and would take more I think without problems but the old starter motor struggles. Pintos seem to like lots of advance, go as far as you can before it starts pinking.

Peter

Guest Simon cooper

8 degrees is normal for pinto's on unleaded with a standard non-*bleep*ised distributor.. The Best way however is to set 30 degrees at 4,000 as long as you are not using vacuum advance.

Peter, if your starter motor does not like it then you are over the top, and I would suggest set at more than 12 degrees. The only other thing that can cause that "Lazy " advance feel when cranking is a badly worn starter motor with electronic ignition.

When the starter gets worn, it takes more current to turn over. This in turn causes a stronger "Electro-magnetic" field which can mess around with the pulses from the disi. If you are set at 12 degrees and getting the same effect of a lazy starter, try wrapping tin foil around the wires from disi to ignition amp and earth one end of the foil. This will act as a screen and may eliminate your problem.

All the best

Simon