Wanted 2/3hp Inverta

Guest kevin booth

Guest jhfozzy

Ouch, I take it it's a 1phase to 3phase inverter running a 3hp motor? They're not cheap to replace.

A few here

There are a couple of articles mentioning running 3 phase motors on 1 phase and I remember a bit about it from college, but not to sure how effective it is. The motors run hot and supply only 1/3 of the power if my mind serves me correctly.

It might be cheaper to buy a single phase motor of the same power, but it will be a fair bit bigger.

I'll ask the boss tomorrow in work, he's got loads of 3phase stuff lying around.

John.

It's easy to convert the motor to 1phase running provided all 6 ends from the windings are accessible-- the motor needs to be connected in DELTA-- A1 toC2-- A2 to B1-- B2 to C1 connect supply (230 volt ) across A1 - A2 & a new capacitor (25-30 microFarad) connected across B1 - B2 , cost about £15. The main down-side is you can't use your existing switch-gear & the power will be down somewhat.