Towing To Sva

Snapperpaul

I have just been talking to the Legal department of VOSA regarding the prohibition put on my hired Transit, borrowed trailer combination that i used for SVA in Norwich.

A word of warning to all who tow to SVA.

My single rear axle hired Transit had a permitted train weight of 3500Kg, the huge plant trailer that i borrowed had a permitted gross weight of 2600Kg but both together weighed by the axle not total gross static came to about 3700Kg, he weighed the combo with all passengers in it.

The nice men at from the Inspectorate put a prohibition on the lot instructing me to take it straight back home, do not pass go etc.

Now that should have been the end of it except that somehow the prohibition order got sent to the Prosecution and Legal department for further action, Oh how i laughed.

Letters and emails followed and a phonecall, my name may be recorded as an Operator of heavy Goods that was cautioned Over weight ( the combination not me personally) I await further bureaucracy.

The moral is however, if you go into the lions cage make sure your codpiece is teeth proof.

The tow vehicle has a train weight, you should be aware of this, the trailer should have an unladen weight and a permitted gross weight on a plate, a single axle Transit is probably not good enough but a twin rear wheel long wheel base would be

so paul

do you think this is ok to pull a 4 wheel trailer , prob is there is no plate on the trailer.

log book on camper says it weighs 3600kgs but the data plate in the camper from manufacturer .

says 6700kgs .

licience i think says 7500kg max vechicle weight and a towed weight of up to 12000kg on the hook,

i get where your comming from on the transit and its gv weight .

so my prob is the trailer is a home brew so it has no plate.

graham

post-1622-1217963478_thumb.jpg

You don't need a trailer Graham just cut some big doors in the back and roll the car straight in, couple of mattresses on planks over the car, get rid of the cutlery in the cooking bit and replace with oily tools.

If you go for too much luxury you will start to think Caterhams are a good idea.

Guest gavinc

you have to be carefull with length as well as weight now.

i think you might find if you put a trailer on the motorhome you will need hgv 2 (or is it 1)

it has been mentioned at work that i can legally tow a small plant trailer

but touch and go on a car trailer.

my works van is a longwheel base iveco with trans weight of 7 tonne