How Cool Are You

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Guest Phil in Cheshire

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Two jobs outstanding one is fitting sva compliant bonnet catches (to be ordered tommorrow). The second is the cooling system. Which is the best rad and fan set up for a 3a with a mildly tuned 2.1 pinto cant see the point in fitting the single core one supplied by RH and the viscos fan has to go. Any suggestions / ideas will be greatfull recieved. (would prefare to use new part rather than second hand)

Phil

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Have ordered a coolmar rad today should be here Monday. Does anyone know the overall thickness of the fan from a 944 Porsche as i am reliably informed the width and height are correct plus it sucks.

Phil

I have a series III with a standard 2ltr. I initially fitted the single core radiator in front of the engine but it could not cope, most of the coolant ended up on the road. There was not much air flow through the radiator either as any air going in the nosecone would exit through the suspension.

I designed a double core radiator to fit snuggly in the nosecone, made up a cardboard mockup and had a local radiator company make one for me.

I now have no cooling problems, an electric fan is fitted on the front of the radiator and now all air entering the nosecone is forced through the radiator. The radiator cost £100 and for an extra £10 the guy supplied and fitted the electric fan.

Hi Ian,

The company who built the radiator for me is:

DJ Radiator Services (Peterborough) Ltd

Unit 48, Second Drove Ind Estate,

Fengate, Peterborough. PE1 5XA.

Tel: 01733 892225.

The guy used an off-the-shelf core and hand made a top and bottom. The top has top hose and expansion tank connections and also an air bleed vent which helps when filling the system. The bottom has a hose connection and a drain tap. I use a Rover expansion bottle.

If it would help I could whip off the nose cone and take some digital photos, let me know.

Nigel.

:D I've had the standard single core mounted behind the cross-member with the viscous fan on my 3a for a few years with an expansion tank and it has been fine, even with a few trips to Le Mans!!!

Nick