Which Engine

Guest richieu

Guest richieu

Hi, im looking at getting an engine to go into the kit car and i cant decide which one, nearly everyone puts the 2ltr pinto in with a type 9 gearbox ? and a shortent siera prop shaft, but these are very heavy engines and dont put out huge ammounts of bhp, i was looking at putting in the vauxxhall 2ltr red top and woundred what the implecations were would i need a special mounting kit, what gearbox and propshaft would i use and does it still all work ok going to a siera rear diff

Regards

Rich

Guest Mike-16
Hi, im looking at getting an engine to go into the kit car and i cant decide which one, nearly everyone puts the 2ltr pinto in with a type 9 gearbox ? and a shortent siera prop shaft, but these are very heavy engines and dont put out huge ammounts of bhp, i was looking at putting in the vauxxhall 2ltr red top and woundred what the implecations were would i need a special mounting kit, what gearbox and propshaft would i use and does it still all work ok going to a siera rear diff

Regards

Rich

Red top works fine, same G,box Jag x type mounts, get prop shaft made to suit, no change of diff.

Mike

Guest richardw1984

im adding a redtop at the moment...well its fitted. The only problems i found were getting the gearbox to fit the engine. You need a new bellhousing for about £150 and a clutch from westfield (£60) Teh engine mounts i have are custom made but lots of different ones should work. Obviously a shortened sump will be needed but beware these arent cheap. (£250) That all in all with the cost of stripping the engine down and rebuilding the costs mount but parts are readily available now.

Just message if you need any more help

Cheers

Richard

Guest richieu

wow that sound alot harder and more expensive i think i will start with the 2l pinto and learn a few skills in the build, does anyone know what sort of performance do you get with the pinto ?

Rich

Guest richardw1984

im pretty sure its better than your average people carrier!!! haha you can probably expect to push out 120bhp easily and then anything more gets expensive...but bhp per ton thats not too shabby! I love the pinto for low down grunt and the amazing sound. You could always go V8 and have people drool at the sound when you drive past....only the men will drool! women dont understand haha