Help Needed On Dgas

Guest AWhite

I bought a 38DGAS from ebay which seems to be ok. I have a couple of questions if anybody could help.

The carb came with the autochoke removed, can I run it without a choke? Or should I transfer the autochoke from my 32/36DGAV or even go manual.

At the bottom of the manifold there is a green plug thing with 3 pipes coming out of it. The two smaller ones go straight onto the old DGAV on the left (facing forward), there is nowhere for these to go on the 38DGAS do I just plug them up with a screw in the end, what are they for?

I have a long standing problem with my vacuum advance ie I don't think it works. I have taken the top off the dizzy and sucked as hard as possible on the pipe, nothing moved. Do I take it my vacuum unit is shot?

As always all your help is appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Andy

Or should I transfer the autochoke from my 32/36DGAV or even go manual.

Auto choke is OK providing it works properly. Manual you have more control over, but some of the manual adapter kits are crap, beware!

At the bottom of the manifold there is a green plug thing with 3 pipes coming out of it.

Take it out of the manifold, put the 'nut' part in the vice and smash the green bit off, then put it back into the manifold just to plug up the hole, it's not needed. Just join up the 2 outlets with 1 piece of pipe. (piccy)

I have a long standing problem with my vacuum advance ie I don't think it works. I have taken the top off the dizzy and sucked as hard as possible on the pipe, nothing moved. Do I take it my vacuum unit is shot?

Are there any plastic valves in the vac line? try without these in, if it still doesn't move then it's knackered. Either replace the dizzy, or try freeing it off first with a bit of WD40 around the centre piller of the dizzy (from the top) just in case it's rusted.

post-6-1069675547.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply.

On the new DGAS these two small pipes connections are not available - so should I just smash off the green bit on the manifold plug and remove the two small pipes (in red) as below?

Thanks again,

post-6-1069682239.gif

yes, it's wax temparature thingy, and it's not needed. with the two pipes just join one outlet to the other, it's not the best photo to show that, but you see the smaller pipe that comes from the square diaphram housing, it goes round underneath the petrol feed pipe, and back onto the connection lower down, at the mounting flange.

Also, I forgot to say, with the dizzy, you can just change the diaphram unit if it's knackered.

Undo the 2 screws that hold it, and wriggle the actuation 'bar' off the peg inside (it's a 'good' fit, not a press fit, but you have to be right when you're putting it back) There's also a small 'tin' oval plate pushed into the side of the body, this can be carefully levered out, so as to give you a slightly better view inside.