Painting

Guest richieu

i have borrowed a compressor and spray gone off a friend and am looking at having ago at paitning my mild steel 2b, i have primed the surfaces with halfords primer out of a spray can and now i have the compressor set up i want to paint the car, where is a good place to get the right paint from and roughly how much would i need, + any tips, this will be my first time with a spray gun,

Regards

Rich

Guest chris brown
i have borrowed a compressor and spray gone off a friend and am looking at having ago at paitning my mild steel 2b, i have primed the surfaces with halfords primer out of a spray can and now i have the compressor set up i want to paint the car, where is a good place to get the right paint from and roughly how much would i need, + any tips, this will be my first time with a spray gun,

Regards

Rich

Look in yellow pages under paint suppliers for auto paints you will need primer filler (sorry but aerosol primer is a waist of space) and thinners and don’t forget to get some standard thinners for cleaning the gun. For the top coat it depends what you are going to use or more to the point if like this area what you can get as water based seems to be taking over. I was very weary about using water base but have found it easy to use and it has the bonus of not producing much spray dust around the garage. If you go for twin pack remember to wear a good mask, and mix as per instructions. (I personally wouldn’t use cellulose even if you can get it)

Good look and remember to get a good result preparation and the primer coats are the key and three or four thin coats are better than one thick one which will sag and run.

I would think 2ltr of each (prime and top) plus 5ltr thinner, 2 tak rags. 800 & 1200 grade wet and dry.

Guest Nigel Novice

As Mr Brown says preparation, preparation and preparation, when I did a few custom jobbies when I were younger it was wet n dry it till your finger tips disappear then spray a dust coat of black on it and rub that off as well :D

If your painting Ally then an etch primer might be advised to get the bond, I'm also not up on or sure about these water based paints but we will see.

Thanks for the help guys, so i want lots of fine layers of filler primmer then a few layers of water colour, do you thin that down with water or thinners ?. Lol cheqe sounds good but i think i'll pass i might need a left handed paint brush to go with it =)

Edited by Richie U