Splutter From Low Revs

Andi

Put the new honda bike carbs on and they ran ok apart from they needed quite high revs to pull off

at say 30-40 in 4th. This doesnt happen when not in gear.

Today i stripped them all down, checked and cleaned everything with carb cleaner, blew out the jets,

checked the diaphrams and slide movements.

They seemed pretty clean anyway but after doing it the car was flying, but the same acceleration pick up

problem is there.

Im wondering if richening them up would help, On my previous Yam carbs I believe you dropped the circlip

down a notch on the needle to do this however I cant see how to do this on the new ones.

Thanks in advance.

Guest salty_monk

You may have to shim them with small washers to get the same effect.... a lot of the newer ones don't have notched on the needles.

You can also put a Dynojet kit in them, their needles have notches. Drilling the vacuum holes in the slides means they will lift quicker too (which may be beneficial as you do not have an airbox like a stock bike would have now...).

Dan :)

according to the last few posts about bike carbs you need to drop the needles down into the tubes i,e; raising the circlip UP. this is supposed to get you closer to the correct mixture. i'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to confirm this or not but i'm having problems setting up mine too.

it feels like its running out of fuel towards the top end so i raised the needles up to increase the mixture but this made it worse and i got a lot of back firing and popping through the exhaust. it turns out that it was actually running really rich not lean but had similar effects i've now dropped the needles down to their lowest position and it has helped. i'm now going to try drilling out the vaccum holes to increase th slide pickup rate mid range if i can find them in my suzuki manual (i'm guessing there the small holes in the top of the carb next to the diaphgram, when i take the lids off and keep losing the tiny 'o' rings!)

robin

Edited by robin