Idle

Guest horncock

Guest horncock

Could someone please suggest the best way to set up the idle mixture on a 38dgms on a 2l pinto, it has a fast cam, and seems to be running far too rich, it was fine-ish before I fitted this new cam. Please tell me which way I have to screw the adjusters to make the mixture weaker, in or out? and whats the best way to get them balanced without any fancy equipment ?

The idle jets are 45' are these right?

Regards Richard.

Richard, if it was running ok before then the cam change shouldn't have made it suddenly run rich, lean perhaps. First check all the jets are clear and what sizes they are, 'Big Jim' posted a chart on here some time ago listing suggested sizes you should find it by doing a search. Turning the idle screws in leans the mixture. Assuming the jets are all ok, turn both the idle screws gently fully in then undo them about 1 1/2 turns, start the engine, adjust idling speed with the throttle stop. Then try adjusting the idle screws to increase the idle speed, adjust both screws the same amount! when you have the engine running as smoothly as possible reduce the revs using the throttle stop screw and try again. It is the same as setting any carb apart from the fact that there are two idle screws in this case.

Peter

Guest horncock

further investigation has revealled that it is flooding through the Pump tubes when idleing . Have taken the floatcamber to bits an it is all working fine. What else could be causing this? It is driving me mad because it only does it sometimes, this is a brand new carb. The jet size are as Big Jim suggests.

Regards Richard