First Base

Guest bloke

hey up

i am looking to start wiring the mota up soon but have never done any before!

i have a vg loom and a full donor loom labeled (glxi)

as i am a complete beginner can any of you more experienced builders offer any nuggets of wisdom?

like can i use pull straps to fix to the chassis? any areas tricky to connect? any tricks of the trade i should know to protect me investment/ health!!?

any help will be much appreciated

Guest Battery Bill

Bloke

We have used the Sierra loom totally and it has been a lot of fun doing so, There has been a lot of talk about the "VG loom" not much of it positive neither so good luck. :unsure:

I don't think cable ties would be sufficient for Mr SVA (I dont know why, because they are good enough for aeroplanes) P clips are the things to use, you can get them cheep from Tifosi. ^_^

Have a look at our website and see the mess our wires were in at one point, they are a bit better now but not totally finished. (Oh and our battery is in the back too, did we mention that?) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And they've been doing their wiring since Newark (or was it earlier?)

If you want to use the Sierra loom, you need to lay it all out, then remove bits that aren't needed, eg, electric windows, door lights, etc. etc. (see Bill & Joeys site) Alternatively you could fit a new loom. the VG loom IMHO leaves a bit to be desired, there is a loom from Premier wiring (See Kit car mags) that does get a good press, but will cost you in the region of £100.

There are a few differences amongst Uncle Henry's sierra's, and this shows in the wiring, area's that give most problems are the ignition systems, and the coupling to control stalks.

whatever you do, don't throw any bits away until you've got it all working correctly.

When you have to either shorten wires, or put connectors on, use solder & heat shrink sleeving, it will take longer, put will be a much better job than crip-on connectors.

another trick that people have used, is to run the wiring up inside the tunnel inside plastic tube, then clip the tube with 'P' clips. Don't forget, you can't run wiring & fuel lines together.

Also the best place for the battery is in the engine bay, over the N/S footwell, where it's supposed to go!

I'm sure that others will add, confirm, or argue with my comments.

we've tried to help with certain diagrams etc here.

Bloke

I am using the Sierra loom, same as Bill and Joey, cut down as Jim says...

I didn't label anything when I took it out 'cos I know a bit about electrics :p but its fun working it all out :)

P clips from Maplin 100 for about £1.50

Dave

Oh, did I mention I have the battery in a sensible place :D

Guest paul mercer

i dedabted for ages what to do about the wiring. Int the end i decided to do the lot from scratch with a big reel of wire, some cable labelling numbers and some automotive connectors. Was a bit of fun, but definately worth it in the end. every thing is where i want it, and i kept an accurate record of what i'd done, just in case.

Guest Getting There

Hello

I have used the Vicky Green loom and found it veryt successful, it is really easy to use provided that the parts from the donor are in good condition and you remove them from the sierra loom with plenty of wire, the only problem that i have had with this sytem was that it doesn't use relays, but i added these for the dipped beam and main beam and ever6ything is ok.

Hope this helps...........

Chris Stubbs

ta for your good advice and methods, it looks like yet again there are as many good ways to do this as there are builders but please keep adding advice if you have some

i think ill use the vg + lengths from the sierra e.g. ignition and engine from sierra to account for uncle henrys 'improvements over time - what do you think jim?

im not really brave or experienced enough to attempt to doctor the sierra alone and certainly make a bespoke circuit from scratch but these options appeal

does anyone know if it is acceptable to run the vg over the tunnel top chassis under the tunnel top pannel as described on the wall chart? and whats a relay and how do you add them? - any help getting there much appreciated

thanks again, bloke