Snooper

Guest ash

has anyone fitted a "safety" camera /GATSO /speed trap warning gismo to their hoody?

can you see or hear it when going full pelt ?(when you'd need it the most!!)

i'm planning on travelling 'tup country next summer to a few shows and i still want a licence when i get back home to the south coast (for a shandy!! ):p

I am told:

The GPS ones are more reliable because they use the Global Positioning System (GPS) to know where you are and they have coordinates for all accident blackspots and fixed speed cameras etc. They do not however protect against mobile speed cameras unless they come with an attachment that detects lasers. You have to keep updating the database on the device to keep it up to date.

The normal detectors are better at detecting any type of camera, mobile or not but the cheaper versions of this detect all sorts of other things like those sensors in shops (to stop people nicking things with tags), house alarms etc. I have been told that cheaper versions of these system are going off every 5 minutes when driving through a town. This is why some come with a "town" mode to lessen the sensitivity. Makes me think that you might not take notice if it's going off all the time.

Andy

NOTE: Ash if your a paid up member register on this site to get your RHOCaR member status on this site that lets you into FOR SALE/MEMBER sections etc.

Guest paul_wilts

ive got a snooper 715iS which is the £200 version, its very good but yes it does pick up all the scatter from shops etc, however it tells you what sort of laser/radar etc its picking up so you learn to ignore it. I use it in my normal car but i have put a ciggy lighter in the 7 so i can use it, as for whetehr you will hear it or not its all down to where you put it - right on top of the dash in front of your face is my spot so you cant miss it.

the road angel's are good, but as has been said need updating constantly and wont let you know about mr speed van - the snooper will. another benefit of the road angel is the constant updating speed display, could be useful for anyone with a dicky speedo, and interesting to see the difference to what your normal car says it will do and what it actaully does!! cos its done by GPS its very accurate.

snoopers do have a CITY mode which cancels out any scatter pickup, and although it bleeps and does things alot you learn to ignore it, but it will shout when a cameras lcked on you trust me!

Guest Stuart Ainslie

I use a Cobra that I bought in the USA - as mentioned, they do pick up some rubbish but it has saved me a few times, especially from Laser...

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

stuart (or anyone!)

as santa didn't bring me a snooper for xmas i've decided to buy one for myself !

i was looking at the snooper s1 on ebay but keep getting pipped to the post (money's tight!)

i have noticed that 10 band cobra units are going for about thr same price ,however i also see that they come from the US and they pick up school busses and emergency vehicals fitted with a special device which i presume aren't relevent over here ,so would i be correct in guessing that some /most of the bands of the cobra are not used over here??

i was anticipating having to fit a ciggy lighter to power it ,BUT i see that you can get them to fit motorbikes and i'm sure they don't need them!

thanx ash ;)

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Ash,

I picked up my Cobra from the US - yes, it does occasionally tell me that there is a train approaching or an emergency vehicle warning (It speaks by the way!).

It does work fine on X, K, Ka and Laser though and also offers VG2 and VG2 stealth - it has helped me keep a clean license for the last 40K miles.

Think I paid the guy in the region of £45 for it brand new - the guy does trade on eBay, I could probably get his user ID if it is any good for you...

Mine does have an ciggy lighter adapter.

Stuart.

thanks stuart,

i would be very intrested in the dealers name so i can keep an eye out for him on ebay

which particular model do you have? there seems to be a few cobras about for that sort of money

cheers

ash ;)

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Ash/Bill

I have a Cobra ESD-9200 - It is about about 18 months old now so I would imagine it has been superceded by a newer model. It is a 9 band unit and uses voice warnings instead of different bleeps and noises - it does have an American womans voice though!

The eBay traders ID is rogercolt and his eBay sellers page is http://www.stores.ebay.com/speedtrapelectronics

Nothing to do with me BTW....

Stuart

post-11-1073124443.jpg

Guest Angel Boy

Ash,

Before you go out and by one if you have a PDA you can get a GPS attachment and run some software on your PDA that is essentially satnav but also can be used for fixed speed camera detection via GPS as well.

Details can be found HERE :D

Might be useful to someone.

Andy

ps I have no experience of all I know about it is form the attached.

well i've finally bought one ,a cobra 9210 ,10 band detector off ebay for £52 ,there seems to be loads around at the moment!

when (IF !) it arrives i'll let you all know if its any good!!

ash ;)

• 2 weeks later...

well its arrived and works great ,haven't used it in the hood yet as i've not yet fitted a ciggy lighter to power it ,I think i'll go for a marine 12V one as i dont smoke and they come with a rubber bung over the hole (looks nicer)

I was amazed to see how many empty gatsos there are about but they do move them around about twice a week ,keeps you on your toes!!

one annoying thing is that traffic light sensors also set it off ("X" Alert) the rather sexy female american voice informs me!!

I paid £52 for mine expecting it to be brand new which i thought was an absolute bargin.......

however when it arrived the unit had a few scratches on it so i can only presume that it is either a re-con or a shop soiled example so i would say it is a fair price.

still if it saves me once its paid for itself

reccomend it ?..............................yes ..at the right price

Guest jwaterman

I have a Morpheous Geodesy, Ive had it for 3 years know. No More points since. I got it for the journey to and from Sheffield, to visit the girlfriend at Uni, It was the 2nd set of 3 points and a £60 fine that did it.

Its the system that is totaly legal and approved by the police, runs off a constantly updated network of Accident Black spots (Gatso's etc). The GPS only tells the unit where it is on the planet, if it gets close to a Gatso it starts going crazy, lights coming on in stages, Flashing lights, beeping, and lights changing colour. All of this can be changed by the individual, eg contrast, dimmer for night, volume, speed and distance sensing etc.

Morpheous Geodesy

It all came in a kit which contained the removable unit, 2 holders (one for the Hood the other for the boring car), and a modem. The draw back is it cost nearly £400, Money well spent considering the milage i have done with it on (80K+) and NO POINTS.

So ok it doesn't detect the mobile camara saftey vehicles that lerk and wait 4 you, touch wood been luck so far. But Morpheous now do a upgrade pack that senses the radar to, just another £250 or so, But it covers everything. They know do the Road pilot which is very similar to the Road Angel.

How well does it work in the Hood? Very Well, I have mounted it above the dash on velcro. I Have installed a Cig lighter to power it. Its very visiable and i can hear the beeping at speed with or without the sidescreens. The unit needs a clear view of the sky so it can keep in contact with the satellites hence on top of the dash.

Would i recommend it YES. Its legal too, thats the prob with most other systems, if you get caught using it then i sure wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of the Law. Yes chances are low but i know my luck.

Ok its a bit late for you Ash but it may help someone else decide.

John

John, i think you may be mistaken.

taken from SNOOPER leaflet:

"ARE THEY LEGAL?

Following an appeal Court ruling in January 1998 we have been advised that it is completely legal to own and use a radar/laser detector in the UK.

As Gatso cameras are positioned in known accident "Hotspots" advanced warning from a radar detector can ensure that you are concentrating fully through a potentially hazardous area."