Anti Roll Bar Not Lining Up

Guest bombhead

Guest bombhead

Hi

I have taken off the front anti roll bar and fitted new bushes and wishbones but when i went to refit the arb i noticed that it does not sit right.It seems to be further forward on the nearside making the wheel about 15mm further forward.

It was fitted by the previous owner and im not sure if the arb bushes are fitted in the correct place (or if the holes have been drilled in the correct place).

Is there a correct procedure for fitting it (ie do have to let the suspension settle) ?

Does anyone know where the locating holes for the bolts, for the bush housing are supose to be drilled ?

The car is a sierra based s7

Any ideas gratefully recived

Cheers Dan

Guest robinj66

I think Richard Stewart's instructions on the SIII build videos was to let the ARB settle naturally and then to drill the holes for the clamp. It seemed to work on my S7.

Chalk marks on the floor, wood strapped to both wheels, laser levels and plenty of measuring.

Mark and drill the holes with confidance.

If you use smaller holes and bolts to start with and can trailer the car to a place that has the proper gear you can then lengthen the holes to set them correctly then when back at home drill the larger holes and bolt up tight.

Roll bar mount packing, the rubber mount goes in a recess on the Sierra which we don't have on our flat floored engine bays.

I also had the roll bar milled at the lowest point where it drops down, to half thickness, now the suspention works even with the standard Zimmers and springs

• 5 weeks later...

You should be aware that ARB mount position fore and aft is important as it is the main factor in setting castor angle. They have to be equaly placed and give a castor of about 5-7 degrees. Small adjustments can be made with shims on the ends of the ARB.

I'm not sure how I would go about setting it up. Thinking nip all the bolts up so there is no play, remove wheels and discs and rest stub on axle stands and mark top and bottom ball joint centres of the hub carriers. Settle the suspension. Then from the side of the car measure that angle from the vertical. It is the castor angle. Get them about right, assemble tight and get along to someone who can accurately measure suspension angles to set castor, camber and toe. Reset as required and mark for future reference. Might also be a good time to think about ditching the ARB and fitting tie rods as an alternative.

Nigel