Mot's

Guest Jabberwocky

Guest Jabberwocky

why is it no matter how much time and effort you put into getting the car ready, you always feel like your about to give birth when you drop it off, the and the wait is like waiting to get important exam results back.

why do you worry, nothing you worry about is gonna change what the MOT man sees or does not like!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: yes I think most of us feel the same, and I don't know why either. I suppose its the worry (especially at the moment) of unbudgeted expense, hours in the garage and time off the road, plus we all really like our Hoods and want them to be in good shape when we've been checking / maintaining them ourselves.

Its a very important time though and I do ask my regular tester to give it a damned good going over and to let me know of any minor concerns, even if they're not failure items.

funny thing being a tester, we get people with 3 year old cars with sod all mileage that are so "relieved" when their cars pass... but then..... you get people with 20 year old fiestas who are utterly shocked and disgusted that you have failed their pile of rot on the lack of metal in prescribed areas.

its a only a job, we are only "supposed" to be carrying out a minimun standards test, unfortunatly some testers think the car presented has to be like a showroom car.

Guest erichetherington

Having done tests, when Dinosaurs were roaming the earth, I always want an honest one. Although my local tester is probably fed up of me being nosey and eying up all the latest kit he uses.

thank goodness that we aren't in Northern Ireland, you have to present a clean car that is also clean underneath, normally done with a jet wash, and if they dont think its clean enough the testers will refuse it. Also the government controls the centres so they aren't normal back street garages.

most of the people i know used to get the ferry to Scotland as it was less hassle.

Guest Jabberwocky

When I was in Cyprus the MOT's where a bit different, you paid the government, they stamped your for you then went to the MOT station they took the form and then cashed it in (so you never pair them, they claimed it back of the government) also an MOT garage was not allowed to do any in house remedial work. So you did not get any dodgy your car has failed on this, we will fix it for you for £1000. and then you got your ticket.

However being the loverble people they are they had ways around most of it. Like all cars had to be standard, so if you turned up in a Max power car they would check it and then not release the certificate for a week on the promise that if you where asked that you put it all on after the MOT.