Our New/old 2b-plus (pics)

Guest mtechautomotive

Guest mtechautomotive

Hi all,

Well we just had our 2b+ delivered. Its fitted with an ST170 engine, is log booked and ready to roll, minus a few BLATENT things. Work begins today!

Not sure wher I should post my project so if nayone can point me in the righr direction (or move the post there) would be happy to oblige!

It has the factory wishbone conversion and brand new struts, cossie rear diff, rear discs, factory modified engine mounts for the ST170 and modified under sump bit.

To Do:

Car Wiring (Lights, Flashers, Dash)

Exhaust

Fitment of Jenvies

Cooling System

Brake Box reversing

Idler for the St170 aux belt

ECu fitting and engine loom

If any of you happen to have for sale:

ST170 suited exhaust manifold

silencer

ST170 idler (or where to get one?)

Some decent (smaller) headlamps

Reversed brak/servo box?

Pics can be found here but will be getting a photobucket account or puttint it on our website so will beable to link properly!

http://www.megasquirtmaps.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3008

Cheers,

Matt

hi matt i was glad to hear you got it back to the w/ shop .

then i saw the pics ,

you have got a lot of work to do there mate .

still as you said is regestered got the st engine and knowing the purchace (price), i think you got a reasnoble deal .

if it were me i would pretty much strip it and start again , blasting the chassis and repainting , look at the threads re cutting the bonnett and adding seperate scuttle , the peddles could poss be done in 2 ways , floor mounted ,or using the reversed lightweight/ zero set up

premmier for the loom

poss best value for manifold unless you can get s. hand would be gbs

lots of different rads can be used coupled to an electric fan , top tip is to encase the rad so the air has to go through it not arround it

i used the standard idler from the st and changed its position ,

i used a small denso alternator and got the co to fit the correct pulley,

i think the ecu shouldnt be a prob ,

head lamps e/ bay under kit car parts .

graham

Guest mtechautomotive

A complete strip down, my thoughts exactly!

Its mainly the fact that it is ready to roll on the road so to speak that made it so appealing to us, no SVA etc.

New panels from GBS are around £150 so not bad at all really to get it all shiny aka grahams car!

Will hopefully get her stripped this weekend and get started tidying the chassis up, we have a powdercoaters a few units down from us so should be well looked after there :)

Graham, any more details on the idler and alty? As I am sure you can imagine my realy concern is the bits that make noise, rather than the bits that look nice, so hope to really get into the engine asap as well.

You reccomend a loom place for the wiring, is it not fairly straightforward to put together ourselves considering we already have an aubdunance of wire+looming equipment etc?

Oh, and how did the ST perform today?

Matt

Guest chris brown

It will be a real novelty when it’s done matt as I suspect it will be one of the few very early 2Bs (instruments in front of the steering wheel) to have the wishbone conversion and with the ST lump must make it unique. You say it doesn’t require SVA does that mean it has been SVAd and on the road?

Guest salty_monk

Must have been put together with a pinto & SVA'd in a prior guise. All the 2b cars came into the SVA as far as I know, they didn't make them much before it was introduced....

Dan :)

matt re the alternator

top pinned post in electrical .

stephen found them and i got mine from them as well , good co to deal with .

re the loom for arround £130 ish it will come almost complete , the time required to make it to my mind ant worth it unless

you have plenty , spare time that is .

i have a couple of tiny issues with the st but generally its what i wanted , to be able to toodle though a viliage at 30 in 4th

nice and quiet , then withought even having to drop a cog or 2 its just pulls up to the national speed limit with no fuss .

i did give it a small squirt here and there though, but it was damp !so all in all great its a tourer when you want and also

a bit of a beaste when the mood takes you . small flat spot to sort out .

graham

Guest mtechautomotive
matt re the alternator

top pinned post in electrical .

stephen found them and i got mine from them as well , good co to deal with .

re the loom for arround £130 ish it will come almost complete , the time required to make it to my mind ant worth it unless

you have plenty , spare time that is .

i have a couple of tiny issues with the st but generally its what i wanted , to be able to toodle though a viliage at 30 in 4th

nice and quiet , then withought even having to drop a cog or 2 its just pulls up to the national speed limit with no fuss .

i did give it a small squirt here and there though, but it was damp !so all in all great its a tourer when you want and also

a bit of a beaste when the mood takes you . small flat spot to sort out .

graham

Graham, where abouts is the flat spot (what RPM and what (ish) throttle position. I have your map here will try and sort it for you and email it over. Will have a nice map soon enough once I get stuck into this one!

Will look into the altys, :)

Cheers for the help!

Matt

Guest mtechautomotive
Must have been put together with a pinto & SVA'd in a prior guise. All the 2b cars came into the SVA as far as I know, they didn't make them much before it was introduced....

Dan :)

Dan,

Not sure of its history, it did have a pinto in for sure, it has a log book and plates, just needs an MOT and Tax and its road legal. The log book states 2,000cc so I can run any engine really.

Hopefully it should be at detling on our stand, and I really do mean hopefully!!

Matt

Guest chris brown
Dan,

Not sure of its history, it did have a pinto in for sure, it has a log book and plates, just needs an MOT and Tax and its road legal. The log book states 2,000cc so I can run any engine really.

Hopefully it should be at detling on our stand, and I really do mean hopefully!!

Matt

As long as it is described as a Robin Hood sports and not a ford saloon that is the main thing, as engine size can easily be changed along with engine number.