Lower Seat Belt Mounts

Tazzzzman1

Hi,

Just need some clarification before I jump in feet first...

Failed my 1st SVA attempt a few weeks back, have sorted out all issues except the lower seat belt mountings being too far forward. :huh: Looked at what the examiner suggested, however where he asked me to fit the mountings is impossible as it would foul the rear suspension mounts.

I have looked at other ways of fitting them, which for the inner ones (near the tunnel) is no issue. Just re-drill 2 new points 3-4" further back. However the outer ones are a bit more troublesome as there is very little room.

My question is....Can I drill through the seat mounting brackets (4mm steel for Cobra seats) and mount the lower fixings on these. I would then run a 10mm aluminium bar across the width of the car which the rear seat mountings would fit into/ through (to strengthen this area.) Will this be okay for SVA???

Your thoughts on this...as ever....much appreciated.

Cheers

Terry

Edited by tazzzzman1

Hi,

Don't know if it would work for you, but here's an idea for the outer mount that I could adopt if I needed to - Get a 6 or 8 inch long box, flat plate or 2 inch angle section, drill it to accept the current seat belt mounting bolt and drill a couple more smaller diameter holes in the "outer seat belt mounting plate" and section. Fasten the section with 3 bolts, in order to stop the section rotating. Install an anchor nut (For box section - weld a nut to a piece of flat plate, slide into the box section and rivet in place) in the section the distance further aft you need. This should hopefully give you a mounting point where you need it.

Other an that move your existing seat forward to get through the test (drive with your knees bent B) )

HTH

Nige