Ran Now Stopped

Guest ians2B

Guest superspec

Your symptoms are identical to those i had and it was definately the coil. is the new coil the right one as there are different types and the first one i bought was wrong and had to take it back to be changed, then bingo all sweet as a nut.

Guest ians2B

I got the new coil from Burton power, ford dealer in Redhill very unhelpful. The only question I was asked was ballast or non Ballast I told him again the engine and he said definitely non ballast so I got a Bosch Coil. What other options are there?

Ian

• 1 month later...
Guest ians2B

Its still not going

This is what I have done.

I have fuel

I have spark

Timing (ignition and camshaft )good.

compresiion Ok

When you start it it maybe fires once but is generaly dead

Have changed coil, dizzy cap, roto, ignition module on side of dizzy, new plugs.

Another sympton I get is ocasionally depending on where the engine stops after trying to start I get an oscilation (chattering) of the relays. It seems the pump is firing and a spark is pulseing it certainly hasnt done this before and seems to have started since it stopped running.

Any ideas anyone? Am seriously considering screaming now.

Ian

Guest ians2B

In the garage late again last night have re-checked all the timings, all spot on. With the lights off checking the spark and the Chattering of the relays started again and I realized that each time the relays switched the pump was firing and a spark was released this chattering is quite quick I am grabbing at straws now but this doesn't seem normal (Ive never noticed the phenomenon before). Is this the ecu sending out wayward pulses? New ECU required?.

Ian

Guest woolly

sorry don't know your set up but if relays are behaving oddly then double check all earths, or even take a wire from the battery to the relay box earth.

woolly

What are the relays for?

Coil should be a straight feed from the ignition switch.

If you have chattering relays it could be that the act of cranking the starter motor is taking all the power and the relays are tripping out starving the spark side.

I would hard wire the ingnition and the pump and see if the car starts.

Check your earths and make sure they are good, they may also need seperating from each other to prevent earth leak interfirence or what i would do is wire direct to the battery.

Guest ians2B
What are the relays for?

Coil should be a straight feed from the ignition switch.

If you have chattering relays it could be that the act of cranking the starter motor is taking all the power and the relays are tripping out starving the spark side.

I would hard wire the ingnition and the pump and see if the car starts.

Check your earths and make sure they are good, they may also need seperating from each other to prevent earth leak interfirence or what i would do is wire direct to the battery.

One of the relays is for the fuel pump initial prime and the other is for the fuel injectors etc.

This engine has been running really sweetly for over three years now so what ever i causing the non running and strange relay chattering is quite obvious its just I cant work it out.

Ian

Guest Nigel Novice

Relays, on an old 5 series BMW I had, it would cut out like lack of fuel, ie run out, narrowed it down to be the relays for which I was about to purchase when a chap waiting to be served asked what car I had and then told me to just pull each one out in turn and give a good wiggle back in and seeing how they did not have any this is what I did and it ran till I sold it - still running

hth

Guest ians2B

Cheers Guys,

Have ordered new relays now as I am now going down the replace each part method of fault finding.

Many thanks for everybodys help!

Ian

Guest peter2b2002

as 21 & 23 said could be a bad earth, check with a multi meter chassis to engine - relay mount etc., also try hot wiring the fuel pump , I had to do that on my 2b efi when I had a poor connection some were in the loom,

peter2b

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ians2B

:D Yippe!!! its runs.

Changed the water temp sensor which is located just under the inlet tubes when I took it it off it was just a corroded stump,.

Tuned ignition on and it started just like that.

Brilliant.

Thanks everyone for advice got to put it back together now

Ian