Hard Top

Guest rizla

:huh: i have a friend that works at a body kit manufactures and is very good

he said it would not be to difficult to make a hard top for the robin hood using my cars soft top as a base template and then building on the made base making it smooth

the side screens he said would be a sinch to do

the cost to me for the first one would be around £500 but with a mould that would then drop to about £300

any thoughts B)

Guest MikeD318

You would have to consider getting in and out of the car with a roof in the way too. I've always thought that if I wanted to put a hard top on my 2b (When it's finished) then I'd probably have to make it with a gulwing roof (just the roof lifting and not the side screens).

The CC Cyclone had the getting in and out problem. They made a gull wing which hinges along the centre of the roof-line and also at the top of the sidescreen. This way as the roof goes up the "door" folds and stands up flat. Shame they don't still make them coz I always liked the look of them.

Just another problem caused by a woman then. ;)

I agree that the top could probably not be made commercially as each car is going to be a little different. In effect each top would have to be different to match.

Iain

Guest MikeD318

Mat,

Do you take the soft top off at all to get in/out?

I don't know, mine isn't built yet :gdit: and I've never sat in one with the hood on, but from sitting in ones without the hood on, I could see it being a problem. ;)

Mike.

Try getting in and out of a VX220 with its hard top fitted.

they have the same problem its a pain but not impossable.

I was thinking about building a hard top so intrested to see the results.

John

Guest Angel Boy

Andy,

Would be interested in this as I was thinking of something similar myself but it came down how I would make one and out of what so I ditched the idea and was pretty much going to write the cheque for RHSC to get a softtop.

If you can get something certainly set up etc with prices, then I may well be interested. It can't be anymore difficult to get in and out of then a Elise/Vx220 with a hard top on. :D

Cheers,

Andy

I've got to say that I'm following this thread with interest. I see problems with a hard top that would come out sideways, ie. to the edge of the windscreen then back to the roll bar, because anyone who's bigger than a midget, does tend to 'rub' the hood with their back as you get in and out. Doing this with a fixed fibreglass top will soon break it or the fixings. I don't see how you're going to stop this unless you do something as Ian has suggested, ie. gullwing flaps.

The next problem is the variation between cars on the distance from screen to roll bar.

It should be possible, so I await to see the prototype. :)

Guest Andybarbet

I've been reading this thread with interest and have thought that if the distance from roll bar to windscreen is different per model, would it not be possible to have a surrey type top as fitted to TR4 & 5's where the removable roof section could then be the part that is a different size depending on the vehicle model.

Therefore the rear section can be the same for all and could be used without the roof bit if you wanted to get a suntan !!

The actual roof above your head part could be made of vinyl which attaches between the fibreglass rear section and the screen.

The vinyl part could then be fitted by anyone purely trimming this part to length to fit their screen and then adding poppers to appropriate position to match the studs on their own car.

Sounds possible to me ??

Guest Battery Bill

We are planning to fit a hardtop to ours when we are done with the sva, This was discussed ages ago and did not seem to go down very well as I remember.

We want to make a Fibreglass/GRP top that fits from the windscreen to the rollcage and has a full length hinge in the middle. The side of the roof would follow the curve of the Screen/rollcage around a little bit for the extra rigidity needed. We will either fit the side windows to this or have seperate doors. To assist us 6 ft 4 ers get in the roof will open Gull wing style and once you are in catches on the inside will secure it ;)

I have not had much experience woth GRP/Fibreglass but would like to DIY by making a mould to suit our car when its ready. ;)

Nice to hear more people are interested in this route though.

Good luck to all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob Walters

interesting thread, my main thought why ?, I have got a soft top for mine and I think I have only used it once in anger, then it all got steamed up and cut down the visability. Must admit I prefer driving with the top off.

One other thing is about where to store it when it is not on the car, I have got friends with hard tops for other cars, which is great when they are using it but a pain in the bum in the summer when you want it off.

It will be interesting when you get this fitted though, I look forward to seeing it at the shows.

Rob

Guest brummy-ade

Talking about hard tops my dad has a mgf which he bought a hard top for he can only use it if he stays with the car!! on the 2 occasions he has left the car anywhere with it on the b**t*rds try to steal it!!!!!!!! :gdit: