Ne Get Togther

Redspec

Guest sritony

Thank you all for your help today was a fun day and learnt how to do a few things :)

Only problem is as soon as you all left i turned car on and all gauges stopped again!!so iif nice tommorow i'll have to hunt that fuse box out again, do you think it may need a bigger ampd fuse?

Hi Tony

you managed to get home okay then ;)

was wondering if anyone has any info on the supply rating for your gauges?

with the supply being looped between the gauges a 5A fuse is only gonna allow 60W of power, is this enough to power the senders and gauges and illumination( or is the illumination fed separately )

an option maybe to feed each gauge with a separate fused supply just incase there is a fault/short on one of the gauge circuits

just be careful if contemplating banging a bigger fuse in.

the plot thickens :huh: :D

ek B)

Guest sritony

home fine apart from hittting a traffic jam outside my mams loads of people with windows open me trying to look cool and the fan belt got very very noisy was very embarressing haha!

I would guess grizzy or chris would know the answer to that on.

Beggar! What a shame.

OK. Amongst all those wires we found when we prised the dash away, there may be a stray 'spare' on the same circuit.

If it's bare, it may be touching on something and causing the fuse to pop.

Or, like Eric says, 5 Amps may simply be insufficient?

I'd have thought thouigh that this would have manifested itself long before now however.

I left the fuse holder in view. It's just forward of the heater hose outlet (you can see it in the pic).

Maybe one of the clocks is at fault?

Again, like Eric says, separate clocks should really be on separate supplys.

That way, if one packs up, it's a lot easier to trace.

The problem was, that there were so many entangled wires, it was nigh on impossible to see what was what, eh?

Quite a job to re-wire the lot, but that's what I'd be tempted to do.

The fan belt was quite tricky to get to and adjust. I can't understand how it could've loosened off again.

Maybe I just didn't tension it enough?

Sorry. :blush: :blush:

post-1241-1238860845_thumb.jpg

Hi guy's

First of all thanks to all that turned up, and the offer is always open to use the workshop if required. Loads of munchies left for me next week HaaaHaaa!

Steve / Chris I don't think It should be classed as a failure (after looking behind the dash you did well to get them working at all).

Tony as the lads have said maybe try an up rated fuse, but I would only go up one size. If you want to go to fitting separate fuses I may well have a fuse box at work spare. If it gets to the re wiring stage why not go for a seperate gauge panel that can be removed without taking the dash off we could make it to cover the area now used?

Good to see you all

Steve

Guest sritony

so what would happen if i put a 7.5 one in? would anything bad happen? or should i go for the 10, maybe it is time to re look at that, to re wire a whole car how much would I be looking at any guesses?

The fan belt is a shame if it slipped again but was making a awful noise! going to pop over maybe tommorow and get that fuse looked at, will be intresting to see if both fuses have blown again

Guest sritony

oh is it the white one i am looking at?

steve don't eat too many hob nobs over the week :D

and cant thank you enough for looking I will get ya all a drink at the next meet at church mouse , water for all ;)

hi tony

i noticed when we traced the wire back that it also feeds 2 of you're dash lights for the oil and handbrake.

as these are not working there may be a problem on that side that's causing the fuse to blow

you could try tracing them back, or alternatively cut the switched live feed to the warning lights and see if it cures the problem....

as for the fan belt , looks like you're going to have to get your hands dirty!!!

cheers

C

:huh:

I seem to remember Chris mentioning that the warning lamps looked to have had some water ingress at some point, which on these cars is pretty common

wonder if its shorting out at the h/b lamp

like Chris says, i think you need to split the feeds to narrow the search

hth

cheers

ek B)

Guest sritony

Yeah my dad has said for years I need to start getting my hands dirty I think its a confidence thing I'll happily mess with anything and try my hands at it, put a broken computer in front of me i'll dismantle it and build you a full new one all self taught, or anything to do with DIY, but with cars costing so much I am worried and tend to just avoid the issue leave it to the experts, happened with the last car too, I am willing to learn but just have a mental confidence block when it comes to doing anything with a car. Hopefully one day that will change or i'll get that confidence.

Guest sritony
:huh:

I seem to remember Chris mentioning that the warning lamps looked to have had some water ingress at some point, which on these cars is pretty common

wonder if its shorting out at the h/b lamp

like Chris says, i think you need to split the feeds to narrow the search

hth

cheers

ek B)

Going to go tomorrow and unplug the 2 bulbs that are causing the problem and change the fuse and see what happens then if not will have to be a problem for a later date!

Cheers

Tony

so what would happen if i put a 7.5 one in? would anything bad happen? or should i go for the 10, maybe it is time to re look at that, to re wire a whole car how much would I be looking at any guesses?

The fan belt is a shame if it slipped again but was making a awful noise! going to pop over maybe tommorow and get that fuse looked at, will be intresting to see if both fuses have blown again

Hi Tony,

5 Amps should be enough but -- Whoa there! I'm not talking about a total car re-wire, just the a re-wire/tidy up of the wiring for the gauges.

There may well be people on here who have the same gauges as you. They may also have the wiring diagrams you need too. Ask away.

Take one gauge at a time. Basically, each gauge will need at least four wires (Ignition Feed, Trigger, Lighting & Earth).

You'll need some basic tools, some suitably coloured wire & terminal connectors. Don't forget Loom tape. This keeps it all neat & tidy.

If you can't get hold of the wiring diagrams you need that are just right for you, get onto your PC and draw your own up as you go along.

Wire each gauge up independently anew. During the process, you should be able to identify which wires becomes redundant and get rid.

Ditto for the warning lamps. Don't despair. I know it's daunting, but we were all probably like this when we started out. I know I was.

There's a wealth of knowledgeable guys on this Forum. I couldn't have built my car without them.

Do a search. If you don't find what you need, just ask. We're here to help.

Your Dad's right, time to get those sleeves rolled up. You'll also learn a lot about the car (which is a good 'un) and enjoy it all the more once you get to understand it better. Very gratifying stuff.

Regards... Steve.