Replacement Seats For 3a

Guest jamie26

Guest jamie26

Just got rh 3a on the road this week me and my dad built it as a kit and had it for many years uncompleted. Pleased to say we love it :D and are now just doing the little teeth problems,just took the steering rack out stripped it and replacing with a quick rack, also a quick shift gear lever is on its way. Just looking at seats at the moment anybody fitted bucket seats? been lookin at the corbeau clubmen v2 just wondering if these would fit or there are any other aftermarket seats that you guys suggest

cheers

Jamie

I still have the Cobra seven look alike seats from Midland wheels or GBS and they fit a treat and are very comfortable.

I will be buying the Cubs with colour coded sides and headrest for on going Retro look.

Fitting is a bit of a mission as the outer corner of the seat or the seat runner is over the rear suspension mounting plate.

The way round this is to drill the outer runner further forward and bolt through the floor, use a spreader washer or construct (as i did) a subframe under the floor between the rear panel lip and the gearbox suport crossmember.

You can get the Cobra clubman seats in, but you will need to be brutal to get the one in the passenger side, as the passenger side of the car is considerably narrower than the divers side. I once had a pair in my mark 3, the passenger one went in with "selective" use of a garden spade as a lever!! ;)

I have also tried the "classic" seats that you can buy at the shows, yes they go in very easily, but are useless at holding you when you get "enthusiastic" on corners, in fact they only lasted 1 month, then they were removed.

I have these in now, and they are brilliant! Better quality cloth, and the seat shell was actually made to fit the car, prior to them being covered.

They are NOT a straight forward bolt in job though, they're designed for rally cars, with side mountings, so I specified just what I wanted to the manufacturer (who is local'ish to me) and we modified things during their manufacture.

The first picture is the Motormove seats that I have now and am very happy with, the second photo are the Cobra type (corbaeu) seats fitted previously, you can see how they are jammed in against the cockpit sides

post-51-1238664986_thumb.jpg

post-51-1238665035_thumb.jpg

Guest jamie26

Got some red and black cobra roadster 7 seats of ebay black on th wraps red down the centre and red pipping made up with them they just finish the car off! cheers for the help fellas

jamie