Geometry Setup

Guest AWhite

I need to set up the geometry on all 4 wheels.

Gonna get some spacers from rs jigtec.

The wheels are all over the place at the moment and it needs setting up properly. Can I do this myself or do I need to take it somewhere. I'm told that RS jigtec do setup but it's a bit far away from me and I don't want to take it down to my local kwik fit for some adolescent kid to mess it up even worse.

Any tips?

Cheers guys,

Andy

Different people do this to a greater or lesser extent. Personally I'd DIY it and get it road legal. You can then drive it to a place of your choosing if you feel the need.

I left the rear end well alone, simply setting the ride height as per video instructions.

Wishbones at the front? If so read on ...

Caster is specified by the chassis mounts. A small amount of adjustment can be achieved by rotating the dummy strut to push the top of the wheel forwards or backwards. Start with it as specified in the videos. People only seem to change this if they fail the self centering test at SVA.

Then set the camber - you want the wheels at 90 degrees to the road when under load. Have a look at the top wishbone with the car at rest. When this wishbone moves upwards will the top of the wheel go in or out from the car? this all depends on how high you've put your dummy strut. If the wishbone is below horizontal when at rest the top of the wheel will go out under load, and then in under more load. If it's above horizontal to start with then the top of the wheel will go inwards only. You can set up the camber of one wheel by eye, a spirit level on the wheel rim, and possibly using a small spacer block if you decide to lean it in or out based on where the top wishbone is. Then use a spirit level and a small spacer block to copy the setting from one side to the other.

When adjusting the camber avoid undoing the upper ball-joint inside the dummy strut all the time - it's a right pain. Instead lift the dummy strut out of the hub carrier and rotate the whole thing in the upper wishbone.

Finally comes tracking (toe in / out). This will have the single biggest effect on the car's drivability and on tyre wear. You want the steering wheel straight and the wheels parallel and facing forwards, possibly slightly pointing in at the front (toe in), but only slightly. Under braking they are pushed backwards slightly due to flex in the wishbone mounts, and in this condition you want parallel wheels. Given the RHE plastic bushes this movement is minimal so I'd set them parallel. You can ask a garage to do this but you will need to specify that you want zero or 1/2 a degree toe in. Alternatively borrow some tracking kit, or get two long lengths of aluminium angle and DIY it. Fasten the angle to the wheel rims with spacers to get away from the tyres, and cable ties to hold it all on. Then set the steering wheel straight ahead, and adjust the tracking until the angle on the front wheels is parallel. The longer the angle sections the more accurate the result. I've tracked about 6 cars by this method so far and I don't get tyre scrub.

Most poeple would get the tracking done by a local garage (preferably someone who will spend time on it rather than a kwik-fit "speedy fit" type place). If they have camber gauges they could check your camber too, but you'll probably hav to specify what you want it set to as they're unlikely to know. Their educated guess may be better than your educated guess though.

Hope that lot helps

Ant

:D geometry setup is a bit mre than just tracking :unsure:

Indeed it is, but most of it is done for you on the wishboned 2B. Obviously anyone can spend as much time as they like on it, but what I wrote above is enough to get anyone up and running, with reasonably good handling and no rapid tyre scrub.

Ant

Guest Tim Norman

Just to put you in the picture I'm actually the first loser at Curborough to Andy Jessop. :o

Bob Bobson will, after speaking to my brother in law who pointed me towards a bike engine I hadn't considered, have approx 500 brake per tonne :wacko: if I can find one.

May well have to sell Bob to finance the project.......................... But not until after A few track thrashings :blink:

Bobsbabe is devising all kinds of methods of me losing weight, some of which involve baby oil. :wub:

She also says that so far we have only had one membership renewal without a cheque Hint Hint

Guest Bob's Babe

Sorry Jim, but Tim wont let me practice too often incase I start enjoying myself. :wub: But I'll have a look round at the shows next year for suitable candidates for you to practice with.

Maybe it should be your turn to help hold Miss Newark up at the show in 2004 Tim appears to keep doing this and I'm sure it should be a perk for all members not just him :D

Hope all have a good xmas and get suitable car type, helpy build type things. I will put Tim on a racing diet on 01/01/04 and I might have to join him if I'm going to fit into Bob :wacko: Love to all (not like that) Sue