Rear Diffuser

Guest stuart_

Guest stuart_

hi all, if i was going to make a rear diffuser, what would be best to make it out of, and what sort of desgin should i be looking to make? i want something that will still get rid off all the dirty air from the engine bay, and cool the diff, but try and make the air go quicker under the car than other the so it pushes the back end of the car down.

thanks

stuart

Guest stuart_

hi all, do you think it is something worth while doing? well i would like to keep my slef busy uintil i get a job, but was wondering could i make a card board template and then make a foam buck and then make a fiberglass diffuser, as i would liek to make more things out of fiberglass, as my mini is going to have a few things in fiberglass all homemade.

stuart

Guest Tim Norman

If you have it like the Exige make sure there are no sharp edges. I got pulled by the police while I was experimenting with the under tray. They said it would shred someone if I ran over them. When I pointed out that the front of the car was only 3" off the ground and that they would probably be dead by the time they got to the "Shredder". He agreed but still suggested I remove them. The main reason I put the under tray on was to stop the SVA man seeing too much whilst he was under the car.

The main reason I put the under tray on was to stop the SVA man seeing too much whilst he was under the car.

I'm going slightly off-topic here, but there's an issue in the new IVA test where by fuel tanks are checked to see if they'd be susceptible to rupture in the event of an accident - I know the 2B tank is very exposed from underneath, for example. So we might all be paneling-in (or diffusing) the underside of our cars soon. :rolleyes:

Guest stuart_

hi, well i have had my head under the mk this afternoon for a few mins, and took so messurements and draw up some rough sketechs on a notepad. right then i am going to make a foam buck and lay some fiber glass up.

right a few more question the rear diffuser, how should the 90deg bits hanging down be? larger towards to the front and narrower to the rear, so it acts like a jet turbine. well that one in the center and one each side of that?

i will try and draw one up on the coumputer,

stuart

Guest stuart_

as well, is it better to make the air channel through the diffuser, such as the end closer to the front have a big open end and tapper smaller? kinda like a jet turbane or is that not a good idea?

thanks

stuart

Guest RichardO
is it better to make the air channel through the diffuser, such as the end closer to the front have a big open end and tapper smaller? kinda like a jet turbane or is that not a good idea?

Wouldn't that be the opposite effect?

Isn't the idea of a diffuser to slow down the fast moving air underneath the car so that it causes a low pressure area, so that the high pressure of the fast moving air over the top of the car gives more down force.

Rich...