S7 Failure No Chassis!

Guest The Stig

Guest The Stig
Yet another SVA horror story :o I really feel for the OP.

I have said it before but I am sure there are huge amounts of people unwittingly buying part-built kits from ebay that have a very slim chance of getting through an SVA, let alone the new IVA.

I certainly would never have bought my dismantled S7 if it hadnt have already been on the road and correctly registered as a Robin Hood Sportscar.

The fact that the construction and acceptability of vehicles submitted for SVA seems to be so open to the interpretation of the individual on the day makes it even harder to predict a pass or fail.

I take your comments on board, and this has happened to me, but hey, chin up its a good ole challange and we will all get there in the end. (thats what kit cars are all about)

My first battle was getting my application accepted by vosa, usual thing tried to reject first application as i applied 5 days before the cut off deadline!

Now ill just have to do the bits that they want for SVA pass, not too bad realy, bit of yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

But thanks for everyones advice.

Guest The Stig
This is not the first time I have heard this. Nottingham have told a local member that it is a national thing now, The car needs to be .of a chassis design or a spaceframe. Obviously they are working on the idea that a monocoque designed by RS is not as good as one designed by Ford. In short any S7 not yet SVA'd will never pass unless it as made to look like a chassis.

It would now seem that way, i will post some pics of the final mods in case anybody else comes up against this, it will obviously be a certain requirement for IVA.

Guest The Stig
Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting through. A simple fix for the speedo problem is to get hold of a pair of wheels (only need to be on the back) which are a smaller rolling diameter. IE if you have 185/65/14 go to 185/60/14 and you will probably get through. this website will give you a better idea and show you how many sizes you need to go down compared to what you have at the moment.

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

hth good luck

Thanks for that seems the quickest simple fix, ive currently got 205/40/17's which look the dogs, so prob have to drop down to the std ford rims.

Guest robin

how are Quantum Extremes passing SVA? thay are constructed using a monocoque alluminium chassis design. not sure if they have additional box sections down the sides though?

robin

Guest TerryBarry

The standard Sierra tyre 185/65/14 will have the same effective diameter as your current 205/40/17

If you could find a couple of 195/50/15 these should cure the problem being 19mm smaller diameter

This according to Toyo Tyre calculator. http://www.toyo.co.uk/

My S3 passed with no coments July 2008.

The Quantum Extreem is a Monocoque as stated by robin and there have been no issues with them.

Sorry to hear you have been unlucky.

Do some bracing across the back panel behind the seats.

The only things i added at the time was seat mount bracing under the floor from rear panel lip forward to the gearbox cross member, 2 forward angle irons per seat.

• 5 weeks later...

hi

sorry to here of your probs re sva

i have heard of many stories such as yours recently . and they all relate to the monocoque structure .

be it lightweight or s7 s3 , it appeares that vosa will no longer accept a monocque as a structure ,

as strange as it may seem , one of my local members was forced to fit a ladder structure to the cockpit of an s7 to get it through .

he did it to ovoid a fail .as weird as it might seem .but there was a history to the car and it needed to pass .

graham