Leaky Pinto

Guest yellow peril

Guest yellow peril

I have sprung an oil leak from the top of my pinto 2 litre, it appeares to be coming out of the filler cap, nothing is noticable when stood or revving stationary, but after a run it has chucked oil over the top of the engine, I understand this can occur due to crankcase pressure (I'm no mechanic i just followed some links) when twin 40s are fitted, but I've got the standard carb on the 1983 engine. I have checked the crankcase breather pipe, which does not appear to be blocked, as well as the breather valve which appears to move,

any of you chaps got any ideas how to stop it, the engine is standard, starts fine first time, and doesn't smoke so appears to be healthy otherwise,,

You need to remove the spring and plate inside the valve so that the oil fumes/mist can escape without any restriction. Crankcase pressure alone is not enough to operate the valve as it also used the vacumn from the inlet manifold. The breather pipe should run in to some sort of catch tank.

Barry.

Barry, he has the standard set up, so providing everything is clean and not blocked the crankcase breather should be OK in it's standard form.

I would replace the whole valve & oil/air separator (will cost about £13) check the pipe to the bottom of the manifold, some thimes they 'delaminate' and it will block itself inside. Then check the union into the manifold. The whole system must be clean and free from any restrictions. Renew the filler cap, and unless your engine is breathing that bad that it's a total wreck, everything should be OK.

Just one more thing, if you lift out the filler cap, is there a plate in there, or can you see the rockers? if you can see the rockers, then either weld a baffle plate to stop the oil being thrown off the cam lob into the filler cap (but with enough clearance to allow you to put oil in), or change the rocker cover for a later one that does have the plate as standard.

Guest Bazwaz

I stand corrected. I didn,t read the post correctly and thought he had twin 40s fitted. Mind you, i was half way through a bottle of Southern Comfort .

Happy New Year to everyone

Barry.

Guest yellow peril

I'll try replacing the valve and seperator, as I got a new filler cap when the problem started thinking that would solve it,

There no plate underneath the filler cap, so will have a look at sorting that out too,

cheers folks, and a happy new year to ya