New To The Site

sorry for using the quote button...fiat punto eh, what model? has it been done?> im literally just weighing up all my options, the xe will be dragged out of the shed 2mro for inspection. ;-)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Sierra power steering rack, but without any hydraulic assistance, BUT my car was a sliding pillar chassis fitted with an aftermarket wishbone setup, which gave it the same track as a Sierra.

This has 2.4 turns lock to lock, far better than the 4.2 on the standard rack.

No reason why you couldnt fit a P/S pump & reservoir from a Sierra, but maybe not to an XE???

My g/box needed moving forward because the back of the head hit the chassis cross tube.

The XE starter motor is on the RHS, so the footwell inside wall needs some precision engineering adjustment....

I used a precision 5 lb lump hammer....

sorry thats an old pic of the car with the pinto in and exhaust on the offside, redtop exhaust comes out of the nearside.

Heres some more

shop around for your parts, a steel sump from an 8v or a diesel can be cut and shut to fit, much cheaper than any of the alloy jobs,

for pedals you can use the GBS zero set up, moves all the brakes inboard so you could fit an air filter, which I can't at the moment.

I got most of my parts from ebay, made them myself, or off scrappers at work.

the plough tube is the chassis tube that loops around the front of the sump on a 2B, in the pics it has been cut and had angle iron welded in to go round the xe oil filter

Steve

thanks for the info chaps, seem to be getting closer, picked her up today. gave her a good blast on the way back. Cant wait to give my old xe the kiss of life.

Im handy with a welder, so i should be ok. any pics of a modified 8v sump? my exhaust at the mo comes out o/S. what will i do with the hole when it gets moved to the N/S. wahoooooooooo i cant wait.

just turn the sump upside down on a bench, mark it at 105-110 mm and cut the bottom off the bowl, then weld a 3mm plate back on the hole you have created. You'll need to chop about 17 - 20 mm out of the depth of the pick up pipe too.

thanks steve, much appreciated. do you attend the meets? wouldnt mind having a look at your setup if you didnt mind, Stockport isnt too far away.

Would you advise a hydraulic clutch? ive seen a pedal box i am going to use that has the hydraulic facility maybe wold make it a bit easier.

thanks steve, much appreciated. do you attend the meets? wouldnt mind having a look at your setup if you didnt mind, Stockport isnt too far away.

Would you advise a hydraulic clutch? ive seen a pedal box i am going to use that has the hydraulic facility maybe wold make it a bit easier.

think i may have got around the induction issue, i have bought these and plan on making a custom inlet to suit with a megasquirt ecu or similiar.

Anyone have any experiance in the blackbird boddies?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

throttleboddies2.jpg

throttleboddies1.jpg

Guest Stuartl

It does seem like a lot of trouble to go to on a car that looks very nice what I can see.

Wouldnt you have been better off starting with a new kit and a blank canvas and building the Vauxhall lump into that?

Just a thought.....

THE CAR ITSELF IS FANTASTIC, i would have loved to start from scratch, my passion is cars but i just dont have the time to build my own i run my own businnes and that take up alot of time plus 2 young children.

I paid 3k for this one which is finished. Would have been alot more if i had started from scratch. I want to fit the xe to put my mark on it and give it a little more ooomph.

Loving this site btw.

HI throttle boddies arrived today, i have now removed the engine and fitted the new bell housing.. The trouble is, i feel that the face of the housing sits a little too far back! How much play is there in the shaft of the type9 box to move it forward? Is it just a case of undoing the 2 gearbox mount bolts at the front and re-sitting them further forward?

Starting to panic a little now.

Gareth

Edited by garethbowers

ive got the engine in situ now, (i have sent the head away,) the thing is, the plough tube isnt fouling the oil filter in any way? Could it be that i have the engine set too high?I have got the engine and box level, is this right?

Probably is too high, put a straight edge across the chassis top tubes just in front of the cambelt cover, then measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the cam cover, from memory this needs to be 150mm to allow the bonnet to shut.

Also is the engine straight as that will let the filter clear the tube, but your drive train ain't straight.

Probably is too high, put a straight edge across the chassis top tubes just in front of the cambelt cover, then measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the cam cover, from memory this needs to be 150mm to allow the bonnet to shut.

Also is the engine straight as that will let the filter clear the tube, but your drive train ain't straight.

thanks for the reply mate, i had it sat too high. ive lowered it now and erm it hits the tube lol. Have you got any more picsa of your plough tube mod by any chance?