Pinto Turbo Not Starting

dandanfireman

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi Dan,

It does sound like you have an oil seal problem in the turbo........

There is an oil feed to the turbo (should go in at the top) and the oil drain (which is the large pipe you mention, and should be coming out of the bottom of the turbo and draining straight back to the sump)

Do you have a restriction in the oil supply line? If you feed full oil pressure to Turbo's they can often blow oil past the seals. Mine oil supply line only has ~1mm hole in the end that attaches to the turbo.......

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, well my turbo has the oil feed (smaller pipe) feeding at the bottom of the turbo which is not restricted as far as i know. The return pipe is not returning anything it just has a trace of oil inside it just like a standard oil breather pipe would have.

What do ya reckon??

You might not be as dull as me, but..... When I rebuilt my top end, I managed to get the valve timing way out - that is the camshaft and the crank. I'd lined up the cam correctly but had the crank pulley lined up with entirely the wrong mark on the engine case - it looks obvious now but there is another bit of the case that could :rolleyes: be confused with it - if you were being slightly dull. Anyway, the engine turned over well, I'd checked that (not sure if the pinto has interference problems but my setup didn't fortunately) but obviously it wouldn't fire. When I realised, I reset the cam belt and it fired up straight away. I guess you've got the plug leads going to the correct cylinders?

Edited by geoff shep

Guest Dan_Beeston
Hi Dan, well my turbo has the oil feed (smaller pipe) feeding at the bottom of the turbo which is not restricted as far as i know. The return pipe is not returning anything it just has a trace of oil inside it just like a standard oil breather pipe would have.

Hmmmm.......

It appears whatever oil is being supplied to your turbo is ending up everywhere else instead of being returned to the sump! The oil return needs to be on the bottom of the turbo, with as straight as possible drop to the sump to help it drain.

It's probably worth clocking the bearing housing round so your oil feed is at the top, then checking for a restriction in the feed (and adding one, if there isn't one there already) to prevent the bearing blowing oil out past the seal..........

Hmmmm.......

It appears whatever oil is being supplied to your turbo is ending up everywhere else instead of being returned to the sump! The oil return needs to be on the bottom of the turbo, with as straight as possible drop to the sump to help it drain.

It's probably worth clocking the bearing housing round so your oil feed is at the top, then checking for a restriction in the feed (and adding one, if there isn't one there already) to prevent the bearing blowing oil out past the seal..........

Thanks Dan for your help in this area, I'll remove the turbo from the housing and check to see the condition of the seal there, and the same with the housing as it appears the oil is going out both sides of the housing into the exhaust and the intercooler pipes. Whether this is purely down to the housing filling with oil or the seals gone I don't know as it certainly appears that the previous owner of the engine had it arranged as it is now, and the oil feed has been welded into place.

This does not appear to change or restrict the oil flow as i have removed it and blown through it and covered myself in oil. Where would i be able to get an oil restrictor for the feed? Or get something that will do the same job?

Many thanks Dan

Ok guys just for your knowledge and firstly thanks to Dan Beeston for mentioning it. The oil restrictor is in the turbo oil feed to reduce the oil pressure so the oil doesn't blow past the seal in the oil supply and return housing. It certainly appears to be whats happening here lol.

I have a restrictor on the t-piece but think this is not the right place to reduce the pressure as it has to climb uphill under less pressure, so me thinks i'll have to make a new oil input plate and tap it to accept the restrictor I have.

Although now i have a slightly different problem, after fitting the exhaust system from the old engine I had a small problem when firing her up and hearing a bubbling noise inside the engine, then hearing a flowing noise, the breather point from the crankcase has pi***d out a puddle of oil? From what I remember it wasn't over full of oil so not sure what that was. Oh yes and it was revving its nuts off too, any ideas what that could be?

Cheers guys

Dan

Well for now the engine runs and seems to run fine without the turbo attached. The reason for this being what Dan Beeston had stumbled upon being a restrictor not fitted and the oil feed pipe being bodged and welded into place where a restrictor should be.

So according to various turbo websites that i looked at it mentioned the restrictor is there to reduce the pressure inside the turbo oil housing, without it the seals to either side of the housing are likely to fail resulting in oil being blown into either side i.e the manifold and the intercooler hoses.

However what i'm having problems with now is that its revving quite high on idle and shooting oil out of the crankshaft breather point, why would it do that? By the way its not overfull of oil its reading on the bottom reading on my dipstick.

Thanks guys

• 2 months later...

Well I'd just like to thank everyone who posted replies to me regarding the pinto turbo conversion i have been doing. I have had a holiday recently but got back to the finishing touches and made a nice little ally plate with a 1mm hole for the oil restriction plate. I then earthed off all 3 of the retarding wires on the wiring loom and vroom she blew into life no smoke, no coughing, just ran straight away.

I pulled back the throttle on the linkage and sure enough the turbo span up nicely although the dump valve didn't appear to go pop when i dropped the revs. This may just be that i didn't rev it that much but i will try again when I get back to putting the rest back together.

Again thanks to all who gave me advice on what to do with timing and where everything goes.

Dan

• 1 year later...

hey there everyone, sorry its been a long time and apologies to all at sg7 for not attending the last couple of years events. I have left my 7 sat in a barn for too long and am just getting round to finishing her now. Does anyone know anything about dump valves? The Pinto turbo i have runs fine but the valve just doesn't open so i don't know if the turbo isn't creating pressure or the valve isn't working. Any idea??