Seatbelt Bolts

the_gambler

Hi, I know this is an old chestnut , and has been covered many times, but can anyone tell me were I can get UNF 7/16 eye bolts that are longer than 50mm? My roll bar is 50mm thick, so I need something like 65mm or more. Or I could go for a UNF 7/16 eye nut, but still need the name of a supplier. Its the one thing now thats holding me back from the road. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

if i remember correctly this is an sva spec that says 'at least' that size. You can use the next size up metric bolt (12mm) of equivalent spec.

Agreed Andy,

I used HT bolts and welded the nuts in place too.

I then put and additional Locknut on (because there was plenty of thread left) for good measure.

Mr SVA man was happy with them.

Sorry, I think I'm missing something here. I'm fitting 4 point harness, with the snap on connections. With the unf eye bolt the thickness of the eye is 8mm, which is the maximum thickness the snapon will take. If I use a 10mm eye nut on a M10 bolt, it wont fit. A unf eye bolt shaft is aprox 10mm. To get an ordinary eye bolt to fit the seat belt connector, it would have to be 8mm which would have an 8mm shaft, which would'nt be acceptable to sva. Hope I have explained that, and you can see my problem. Thanks.

Guest robinj66

I'm not sure you need them longer than 50mm.

Are you using nuts welded to your roll bar or threaded tube? I used the tube on my S7 (similar construction to your car) and the bolts didn't come through. The SVA examiner just wanted to be sure that there was a substantial proportion of thread to thread contact (about 3/4 of the length if I remember correctly).

As far as the metric / imperial problem - if the metric ones are good for motorsport then they should be good enough for road use.

Best advice is to speak to the tester at your local IVA Centre and ask what will be acceptable ( assuming this is the reason for your query).

Attached is a pic of my seatbelt mounts

I'm not sure you need them longer than 50mm.

Are you using nuts welded to your roll bar or threaded tube? I used the tube on my S7 (similar construction to your car) and the bolts didn't come through. The SVA examiner just wanted to be sure that there was a substantial proportion of thread to thread contact (about 3/4 of the length if I remember correctly).

As far as the metric / imperial problem - if the metric ones are good for motorsport then they should be good enough for road use.

Best advice is to speak to the tester at your local IVA Centre and ask what will be acceptable ( assuming this is the reason for your query).

Attached is a pic of my seatbelt mounts

Thanks for the advice, but on my car the seatbelt mounting points are on the cross member directly behind the seats. The bar is 50mm thick, and was ok for the 3 point harness, but I am up grading to 4 point, which uses snap on connections. The original mounting point is a welded tube in the cross member, but not threaded, the original bolt was 10mm and this tube will take a unf size, but it needs to be greater than 50mm so I can put a nut on the other end. I can't believe I am the only one with this problem.

I'm not sure it says anywhere in the paperwork about SVA or IVA that I have read that a seat belt bolt must be M10 or more, if so can some point me in the right direction? The mounts/bolts etc. should be a sufficient strength is all it implies. If the belt mounts as supplied (assuming the belts are approved) have an M8 hole then an M8 bolt of the right quality will do. however you have M10 holes in the bar so a sleeve will be required to ensure the bolt can't move in the hole. I haven't fitted mine (4 point harnesses) yet so I'll check my bolt hole sizes tonight and post tonight.