Compression Test Results

Guest simonb

The Manifold just bolts on, the ports in the head are pear shaped on the injection so a little grinding work on the manifold will help to avoid a step. Use a carb manifold gasket, a cheap one, they have a bit more material to cover the edges rather than the ford job.

Peter

That's good news. So the injection head just bolts straight on then. I should be able to source one pretty easily and it makes more sense rather than spending time + £££ modifying the old head.

Are there any articles (apart from the one mentioned before) on porting the pinto head? I have done a similar kind of thing on a spare head for my Pug, but have not finished that (yet). I presume it's just a case of smoothing out any rough edges and getting the inlet/combusion chambers as smooth as possible?

What are the exhaust ports like on the Pinto head. Can they be opened up at all?

Sorry for all the questions, just need as much info as possible at the mo.

Cheers

Guest Phil Slater

My understanding is that the ports need to be shaped to allow the"gas" to flow efficiently so it's about removing any obstructions. However, take it off in the wrong place or, take off the wrong amount, and and if you don't knacker it you can end up with a worse situation than when you started off :( . Also gas flowing the head does not necessarily mean achieving a mirror polished finish. Apparently if it is too smooth it can lead to the vapourised fuel condensing on the port walls and not reaching thecylinder.

The traditionally recommended book on tuning the pinto is by David Vizard - I'm not sure of the title. I got Des Hammills book , "How to Power Tune Ford SOHC" ISBN 1-903706-78-5. And I would thoroughly recommend it if you are thinking of doing any work on your engine, it covers all aspects of tuning an engine top to bottom and will i think answer all your questions- and I reckon it's useful even for just a straightforward strip down and rebuild.

HTH

Phil slater

The inlet ports are pretty big on the pinto but the inside curve to the valve is poor and needs sorting. The exhaust ports are small and have a nasty bend that can be straightend a bit. I was lucky and had Dave Andrews help to mod mine. I took some photos' that didn't come out too well but I could try to email some to you if it may help.

Peter.

Cheers guys.

Peter, some photo's would be very useful if you could mail them to my yahoo account - thanks.

Was speeking to some guys tonight who reckon that I may have some problems getting the carb inlet manifold to fit an injection head because of the difference in port size i.e the inlet ports won't fully cover the ports on the head as they are square and not pear shaped - does this sound right?

Also, they have a spare crank lying around from a sierra Cosworth. Would this be a straight swap as I think it will be a lot stronger and the cosworth block looks identical to mine?

Too much to think about, and I haven't even got the kit yet :(

Cheers