Driveshaft Lengths

Guest jasonmorris

Guest jasonmorris

Hi,

I am on with building a zero kit and have hit a stumbling block with regards to the driveshafts.

The LH (shorter) passenger side bolted up fine but the RH (longer) drivers side is way to long, even when fully compressed I would need to use around 6 or 7 spacers to bolt up and even then there would be no play in the shaft.

I am certain the shafts are sierra as they came off my previous series 2 as did all the other donor parts which was sierra based.

Does anyone have any ideas for a remedy or has anyone else had this same problem? Did Ford make different sizes of driveshafts for different model years.

I can't attach a picture as the system won't let me upload one.

Any advice is appreciated.

Rgds,

Jason

Edited by Jazzym

Guest jasonmorris

Just a thought, am I having probems because my diff is not an LSD one?

Should I be using an LSD with the Disc upgrade on the zero, and does the LSD use different drive shaft lengths?

Jason

p.s. I have posted the pics on my blog

Guest jasonmorris
just a thought,have you spaced the diff so the flange is in the middle of the tunnel,my spacers were different lengths! <_<

jess.

Yes, the diff flange is central as per Richards advice.

Jason

Guest kevin booth
Yes, the diff flange is central as per Richards advice.

Jason

Dont know if this is any good for you but i shortened mine by 10mm by grinding new groove for circlips 5mm inboard on both sides and cutting excess off. Hope this helps.

Guest jasonmorris
Dont know if this is any good for you but i shortened mine by 10mm by grinding new groove for circlips 5mm inboard on both sides and cutting excess off. Hope this helps.

Hi Kevin.

Sorry to appear dumb, could you explain a little further, my driveshafts are the push in sort, which circlip do you mean?

Cheers,

Jason

Guest kevin booth
Hi Kevin.

Sorry to appear dumb, could you explain a little further, my driveshafts are the push in sort, which circlip do you mean?

Cheers,

Jason

Remove cv joints and expose the circlips on the main shaft, the circlips are on the splines you can use a 1.0mm cutting disc and cut new grooves i did mine in a lathe it was so easy and works a treat.

Guest kevin booth
Hi Kevin.

Cheers,

Jason

Remove cv joints and expose the circlips on the main shaft, the circlips are on the splines you can use a 1.0mm cutting disc and cut new grooves i did mine in a lathe it was so easy and works a treat.

Guest jasonmorris

Great, thanks for that Kevin, a mate of mine has a lathe, I'll give it a try, although I will have to adjust the drivers side by more like 15mm in order to get it right. Should this still be ok?

Jason

Guest kevin booth

Sorry about thr two replys its the alcohol

Guest Larson250

As per bone...

I never had to adjust or shorten my drive shafts, they came straight from the doner.

However it's not been on the floor yet let alone been driven.

Dean

Guest jasonmorris

Whey hey, problem fixed. The Robin Hood pixies have been in the middle of the night and shortened the shaft for me :D

No seriously though, stripped the wheel end of the shaft down today and it turned out the mounting flange was not seated correctly on the splined shaft. All bolts up ok now :rolleyes:

Still need to get some spacers off GBS though as I only have one on each side and according to the DVD pics there should be about four each side, to give play in the shaft so knocking doesn't occur.

Jason