Driveshaft Lengths

Guest jasonmorris

well done thought it wasn't right that you had to mess all that is needed is the four spacers each side and it fits ok :lol: good job you didn't cut it first or that wood have been one for the doh + ddoh

Guest jasonmorris
well done thought it wasn't right that you had to mess all that is needed is the four spacers each side and it fits ok :lol: good job you didn't cut it first or that wood have been one for the doh + ddoh

Yeah, double doh, really glad I didn't cut. To be honest that's why I stripped the shaft, but decided to give it another go first after speaking with Richard at GBS. Really glad I did :D Just got to get some more spacers now.

One last question, how much play should there be in each driveshaft, is about 10mm enough?

Jason

Guest phil howard
Whey hey, problem fixed. The Robin Hood pixies have been in the middle of the night and shortened the shaft for me :D

No seriously though, stripped the wheel end of the shaft down today and it turned out the mounting flange was not seated correctly on the splined shaft. All bolts up ok now :rolleyes:

Still need to get some spacers off GBS though as I only have one on each side and according to the DVD pics there should be about four each side, to give play in the shaft so knocking doesn't occur.

Jason

What do the spacers look like?

I am edging slowly toward this stage and have been watching this post with interest.

Phil

Guest jasonmorris
What do the spacers look like?

I am edging slowly toward this stage and have been watching this post with interest.

Phil

Hi Phil,

the spaces fit between the GBS supplied hub carrier (think that's what it's called) and the hub/stub axle on the end of the driveshaft. They are a general rectangular shape with a large diameter hole in the middle and a bolt hole (four in total) at each corner. These spacers basically allow you to have enough play in the driveshafts so they don't knock under accleration or over bumps.

Jason

Edited by Jazzym