Changing The Engine, Do I Need To Tell Anyone Etc.

Guest bob13

Guest bob13

Hi All

Just a quick question for you all, If I was to change the engine in dohc 2b for a different engine do I need to inform anyone i.e dvla etc. I have a 16v 2.0L dohc engine on it way. So can I just change the 2.0L 8V engine and not tell anyone. Or does the dvla need to know for emissions etc. Also what if the 8V blow up can I just put a different 8V in and just carry on driving.

Sorry if this is a silly question but in the winter I can see a project starting.

Make sure you change it with the DVLA before you go for an mot or you will most probably get a fail as car details wont match there records , they always check mine .

Mike

Guest bob13

Thanks both, so it is just a case of taking the number off the new engine and sending the V5 with the new details. What about emissions how does that work ?

Guest Charles B

I have recently sent my V5 back with a change of engine from 1600 to 2000. they sent it back saying they needed written proof from the garage that installed it, (me!) or the AA or RAC.

I rang them and explained that I was the installer, and they said they would accept any garage to inspect it and confirm the info on headed paper with a company stamp. I am getting a local garage who services my wife's car to write me a note as a favour.

Guest bob13

Thanks all.

On the insurance front I am/maybe changing a 2.0l dohc for a 2.0l dohc with 16v, the insurance only asked what size engine was at the time. Did not ask if it was 8v or 16v, do you think they would assume it was a 8v? being it is on a G plate. I suppose they don't even know what make the engine is. As for taking it to a garage to have it checked, are they just checking to see that the engine you have in it is the one you say it is?

Thanks to all again, sorry if still silly question but if you don't ask you will never know.

Cheers bob.