How To Register Your Car? V5

Guest oddsocks

Guest oddsocks

hopefully picking 2b up on wkend,part built but i dont think he's reg it yet and he has got v5 coz he's bought new or recon parts.

So my question is. how would i get a v5 without buying a donor car-could i go to a scrap yard and buy a v5?

How did you lot do it?

Im new to all this so go easy! :huh:

Beware. You cannot register a part built, new parts or otherwise, without fully building it to a high standard and then submitting it for IVA testing. It has to comply with all the regulations in the IVA manual. Tests are done at a few centres in the UK and take 4 or 5 hours. Most cars fail first time round. When you do pass there are further procedures with the DVLA to register.

Without that IVA pass you are buying a pile of spare parts which can be built into a car. Price should reflect that! Do some research so you have some idea what you are embarking on. A new car/kit car has to have a new V5. To use an old V5, even the donor V5 is called ringing. It's a crime.

Nigel

Hi Yanto,

Do a lot of research before you part with any money. As Nigel said, the IVA test is extensive and costs about £500. When it's passed IVA you'll need to register it so you'll need to prove to DVLA that YOU did most of the build so take lots of bits off and take photographs of yourself with it and a handful of spanners.

If you want an age related plate then You'll need a V5 from a donor car and you'll also need to prove the age of the chassis so you'll need receipts. If you can't get these you'll still be able to get it on the road but with a Q plate (just like mine :) )

Guest Noddy006

Hi Yanto

Watch out if existing V5 says something like Sierra it aint road legal and still needs finish building and IVA test as the other guys state. This costs time and money. V5 must say something like Robin Hood Sports Car or Robin Hood 2b sports etc. to be road legal. Price needs to reflec the true situation.

Best of luck.

Ian H