Power Steering

Guest Rogertope

Guest Rogertope

I have a pre-built Exmo with 4.something turns lock to lock. Despite the low gearing, it is still very heavy to park - particularly for wifey - so I hit on the idea of the 2.8- turns power steering rack from later DOHC (and other?) Sierras. The Haynes manual makes it look as if the dimensions are similar apart from the connection to the column which can no doubt be re-engineered with the bottom of the compatible column shaft. Anyone have any experience of this or helpful comments please?

Thanks

Roger (PS I am changing the weedy 1600 for a 2 litre Pinto so can hold out for one with power steering pump attached)

Err! Roger, going from 4 turns, lock to lock, to 2.8 turns, lock to lock, isn't going to make it lighter to steer at slow speeds, it'll make it even heavier, that is unless you're going to connect up the power steering pump gubbins and all that goes with it.

Check your tyre pressures, 20 -23lbs, then get your tracking checked, 1/16 toe in. if you still think that it's too heavy, jack up the whole front end of the car and check that there's nothing tight. If you're still not happy (and cars without power steering are always heavier) then I suggest that you subscribe to the Charles Atlas Body Building course :)

Roger, if your Exmo has the original small steering wheel you could try a larger diameter one to make the steering a bit easier although some owners find it a struggle to get in their car with a "normal" size wheel fitted. Personally i have a 14 inch one (and no i'm not bragging) But then i am on the skinny side.

Barry.

Guest Rogertope

Thank you both - yes I did intend to connect up the power steering (der!) - I realise that the quicker rack without power would make it heavier. My query really is: has anyone done it and is there a problem accommodating the different proportioned rack to column connection?

Roger

Guest Battery Bill

Roger

I think it would be a real struggle to fit all the power steering gubbins in the hood :mellow: Looking at all the power steering stuff left in our spare donor Granada I recon I would have had to fit it all in the boot so the engine fitted in the front :D

By the way you can have the rack and bits if you want them to try, they are just waiting to be junked when we get shot of the shell :)

Guest Rogertope

That's kind - where are you based? I had a dohc sierra here for a while with power steering on it and the pump, pipes and rack looked fairly compact - mind you, so's the engine bay on the hood!!

Roger