Anti-roll Bar Saga

Guest Rogertope

Guest Rogertope

For what it's worth, I phoned RH tech chap on this and he insisted that tie bars were a Bad Thing, putting asymetric strain on suspension components. When pushed he suggested cutting through the middle of the Sierra ar bar and sleeving it with tube to allow differential control whilst retaining its role as tie bars. Comments on this would be appreciated.

Regards

Roger

Guest Tim Norman

As requested. There are plenty of my rantings on this subject. But once again. The tie bar route is the correct on to go for as longas you replace the Sierra anti roll bar with a more suitable one.

There are plenty of articles out there on the web or on this board.

If they are good enough for every other car in the world then they must be ok for Hoods. Its just a case of engineering a suitable one to fit.

Cheers

;) cant comment on a anti roll bar as i dont have one on my s7 just tie bars,handles superb,cant see it being any better than it is,it does though have spax adjustable shocks all round so i can set it for comfert or for track,im sure the fact that the hood is quite light at the front drasticly minumises body roll any way,

a tottaly stiff suspention is not a good handaling set up on any vehicle,but a rigid body is.

suspention set up is also a matter of tast what is ok for one person can be horrendus for another. :mellow:

I fail to see how you can compare anti-roll bars and tie bars. They do two different jobs.

An anti-roll bar is usually in the form of a torsion bar spring which connects the virtical motions of the left and right wheels.When roll occurs the bar is twisted, adding load to one wheel and removing it from the other equally.

A tie bar provides no such function simply maintaining the location of the suspension. It seems futile to argue the benefits of one against the other.

To replace a non-functioning arb with a simple pivot has SOME advantages, particularly in the case of the Exmo, which has a different set up to the other Hoods.

An arb does what it does and if well set-up as Tim is arguing will be beneficial. However to say that all cars have them is untrue and gives a false impression.

As Riz points out his works for him.

As usual you pays your money and takes your choice.

PS if any one wants the maths for arb calculations I have an equation used by Messrs Milliken & Milliken (who wrote a small book on the subject)

I fail to see how you can compare anti-roll bars and tie bars. They do two different jobs.

That's the whole point. An arb does two jobs - preventing roll, and supporting the bottom of the hubs from moving forwards and backwards. A tie bar does the second of these jobs without the first.

Preventing roll is all well and good on a lolloping saloon car, but on a more sporty vehicle with a low centre of gravity then independant suspension is the more usual order of the day. Hoods are sports cars made from saloon car components, hence the choice. If you want anti-roll then fit an anti-roll bar. If you want indepentant fron suspension then fit tie bars.

Ant

Just to join in the fray, I think Bob has the Cortina front suspension ? and due to the geometry has a different roll centre to other hood models. So an anti roll bar will effect each type in a different way, spring rates will come into this as well as personal preferences.

Peter

But I was very pleased with the result when I threw my anti-roll bar away! Mk1 S7 :rolleyes:

I have spoken at length to Bob @R S Jigtec, he has offered to fabricate a more suitable arb to suit the hood,however he recons that uprating the coil over shocks

and installing the tie bars would be a better option.He is so confident that he is right that he offered to supply the arb foc if Im not happy with the results!

Half way through writing this Bob has just rung to say that he is coming down to collect my car on Sunday at about 11am ,bearing in mind that I live near Brighton on the southcoast I think this is excellent service seeing as I only confirmed that I wanted the work done yesterday!......Other work that he is going to do includes:

coilover conversion to rear suspension,new propshaft to replace doughnut type,

installing stage two head,fr32 cam,38 dgas and setup.

chris

Guest Tim Norman

I grow weary of this argument. Like you all say it all depends on the individual. Yes Bob has the Cortina front end and a live rear axle, but I know that when I put an appropriate anti rollbar on and altered the tie bars so that the wieght transfer under braking was sufficient then the handling and cornering was transformed. This was bourne out by the fact that at Curbourough Bob was just 8 tenths of a second slower around a doublelap than a car that weigt 2/3rds as much powered by a bike engine. He still has a little under steer but I shall be dialing that out by reducing the KPI a little more.

Bobsmate

:D after waching the video tim i recon you did very well indeed and your setup seems to work well for you,as i said what is right for one is wrong for another,thats the beuhty of a kit car you make it to your tastes :)