Help?! ...., Im Too Light :o

Guest projectinsane

Guest projectinsane

Hi people :)

I finished building and am 600 miles from SVA & registration...., whoooop!..., although im not quite happy with the levels of grip im getting :/

Only last night i approached a roundabout in the wet.., ' carefully' yet the back end still swung round 240 degrees on me.., i know it was light on fuel but OMG..., and the 'snatch back' when ive been 'playing' on the local trading estate is scary. Anyone got any ideas on ride height..., the weights for best axel balance or any other theories that might help before I end up worse off than runnin wide??!

Cheers..., happy motoring ;)

post-3434-1254663317_thumb.jpg

Edited by projectinsane

Guest mower man

Hi fromthe photo ride hieght looks ok ,what springs ,tyre press etc if you've got it screwed up tight it will be probably abit buttock clenching ,tyre press 18 to 20 region . If you put more wieght i.e. fuel in it might get even hairier[ tank s at the back!] .Also industrial estate roads are very prone to fuel spill from trucks !!! I spun my S7 at nomore than 20 mph !!HTH mower man [try to to get f/r balance as near to 50/50 as poss it will make a very for giving car]

Guest projectinsane

Hiya..,

Im currently running 185/60/14 @ 32psi and the ride heights 7.5inch to the floorpan.., mainly because the rollin chassis was sat for 12yr and i havent been able to unceize the shackel bolts! It does look to high with the space between the top of the tyre and arch :/ The important bit was getting through SVA before easter, now i have its at the 'tweeking' stage, you know?!! lol!! Am tempted to take to local scrap yard and have both axles weighed so i know how different they are..., I know as a whole it weighed 620kg.., and that you can feel when the £20 tank is full...., maybe just keeping a full tank would be nuff to equal?? Hmmm...., bit of trail & error for a bit i think, thanks for your help :)

post-3434-1254669138_thumb.jpg

Guest projectinsane

Haha!!...., well thats the first problem sorted then, it did grip ok but when it went, it went.., thanks both! :) ....., Any ideas on best ride height??? :S

Whats that cable hanging down underneath is it an arrester wire for when you come into land?

I am running 4" clearance to the sump and 20 psi all round, plus it corners very very well when my lad is driving it as he pushes it to the limit even when i am a passenger and i am continualy crossing myself.

Mike

Guest Dan_Beeston

As Tim mentioned the camber on the back is the killer in the wet. If you are using the Sierra rear end the back wheels tend to take on much more negative camber than when in the donor.

A set of camber wedges mounted between the trailing arms and hub carriers will make things much more progressive in the wet......

Guest projectinsane

The cable hanging down was for the orginal speedo...., but has since been removed & replaced with a digital job which is why it was only 'bodged' in!! lol! ;)

Looks like Im going to be getting the gas out then and attack my shackles..., definatly needs to sit lower. Yeah.., the rear suspentions is from an '82 sierra so will start researching into the camber issue...,

Once again..., thanks people :)

18 psi all round, if you are running a Sierra front anti roll bar then this is far to stiff, replace with Tie bars or mill the bit on the anti roll bar under the engine that is lower than the rest of the roll bar to half thickness, I have done this and the front end is good with standard springs and shocks.