Colapsable Spacer

Guest owenpilson

Guest owenpilson

does anyone know where i can get spacer for inbetween the tapered bearings on a cortina axle.....

origionally i thought the problem was one of the bearings(rattling noise) , changed that, but it looks like it is the spacer.

p.s. what is the torque on the pinion flangey thing bolt (can i be anymore vague)

cheers

owen.

Owen, according to Mr. Haynes 'Renewing this spacer is outside the scope of the DIY motorist because a special tool is required for the removal of the pinion bearing'. It looks as if it is collapsed to a set length of 11.5 to 11.7mm they do not give a torque figure. The only reference is when fitting a new oil seal you have to record the torque required to turn the drive pinion before you start then having replaced the seal tighten it to achieve a very slightly higher figure. You could try GMS spares 01913771718 might be worth a shot. If you can't find a manual I could copy a couple of pages and post them if it may help/confuse further.

Peter <_<

Guest owenpilson

thanks for the number ... i ve got the manual , and its funny that they dont give a torque setting for it....

i think that whoever owned the car before me had overtightened the pinion so I didnt have a reference when I took it off :(

owen.