Serial Numbers

Guest Sharky

Hi All,

I have been thinking about registration lately and trying to forward plan. From what I can gather the IVA process is just an in-depth MOT on steroids, but the real question - whether you get a Q or age-related/new plate - seems to come from the Built Up Inspection (BUI).

So my question(s) is/are - where are all of the serial numbers I would need for the V627/1?

• Chassis is new from GBS - make one up or should I ask for one?
  • Axles? Does this mean the Diff? If so, is it somewhere on the tag?
  • Transmission - I have a reconditioned type 9 gearbox but not a clue where I would find the serial number!
  • Steering assembly - new from GBS but there are no numbers
  • Engine - new 2.0 litre black top from GBS but where is the number that I should use? I can't see anything stamped near the flywheel or on the block etc Ian at GBS said it was one of the bar codes - any idea which one or how many digits would be a good start here!
  • Suspension (front and back) - Zero has all new coil overs but again I can't see what I would need to put on the form as the serial numbers for the suspension - all four?

This is mainly for interest sake because I would rather know what I need to gather now whilst I can still get at it and take a photo for the nice man at the ministry, it might help others as well. T

here is no real rush for the info because the Zero ain't been doing much shape-changing for the past 6 weeks due to pesky family visitors and then being made to go on holiday!

Thanks in advance.

Sharky

IVA is a bit more than an MOT on steroids - you might want to download the manual to make sure you don't do anything fundamental that won't pass.

As for serial numbers - the engine and the chassis are the only ones that have individually identifiable numbers. Axles and gearboxes will have numbers cast/stamped on them that will narrow them down as far as a part number and just maybe as far as the date that they were made but nothing closer than that. I'm nowhere near yet but when my 2B went through SVA it was more receipts that they were after. I simply filled the form in stating which parts were new and which parts had come from the donor vehicle. The lady at the VRO looked at the receipts for the new stuff and accepted the V5 of the donor vehicle in lieu of a receipt for the stuff that came from it.

New, Q or age related is down to your being able to prove where all the bits came from and the built up inspection and IVA test are inextricably linked so you can't really seperate one from the other - they are part of the whole process. I suspect given your mixture of parts and their origins that you'll end up with a Q.

Iain

Guest Noddy006
Hi All,

I have been thinking about registration lately and trying to forward plan. From what I can gather the IVA process is just an in-depth MOT on steroids, but the real question - whether you get a Q or age-related/new plate - seems to come from the Built Up Inspection (BUI).

So my question(s) is/are - where are all of the serial numbers I would need for the V627/1?

• Chassis is new from GBS - make one up or should I ask for one?
  • Axles? Does this mean the Diff? If so, is it somewhere on the tag?
  • Transmission - I have a reconditioned type 9 gearbox but not a clue where I would find the serial number!
  • Steering assembly - new from GBS but there are no numbers
  • Engine - new 2.0 litre black top from GBS but where is the number that I should use? I can't see anything stamped near the flywheel or on the block etc Ian at GBS said it was one of the bar codes - any idea which one or how many digits would be a good start here!
  • Suspension (front and back) - Zero has all new coil overs but again I can't see what I would need to put on the form as the serial numbers for the suspension - all four?

This is mainly for interest sake because I would rather know what I need to gather now whilst I can still get at it and take a photo for the nice man at the ministry, it might help others as well. T

here is no real rush for the info because the Zero ain't been doing much shape-changing for the past 6 weeks due to pesky family visitors and then being made to go on holiday!

Thanks in advance.

Sharky

Hi Sharky

Just for info I recently got my Sub K through IVA and Build Up using mostly donor parts but to answer each of your items

Chassis - I just made up a number - believe it has to be 17 digits both letters and numbers. I used RHSC then birthday of HID and couple of letters then more numbers. It wasn't questioned at all and was O.K. for both IVA and BUI

Axles, Gear Box, Steering or suspension don't have individual numbers so there is no way these can be checked against individual cars. You could say any part that is standard Ford came from the donor and you have then reconditioned them.

The Engine is the odd one out and all blocks are individually numbered so can be cross referenced with the donor or otherwise.

HTH

Ian H

Guest smartfazer

Sharky,

I too have a new 2.0L Zetec from GBS with no number stamped into the Block.

When I spoke with Richard at GBS, he confirmed that none of the engines supplied from Ford had numbers and that all they (GBS) did was to use the last 5 or 6 numbers from the middle bar code from the sticker on the plastic cam cover.

GBS have never had a problem with this apparently.

post-3477-1256884468_thumb.jpg

when i was getting to the sva stage i rang the leeds dvla office, they sent a chap out who checked the car for the engine number, gave me a chassis number and then sent me a letter confirming all the details. when i passed sva, i went into the dvla office with the pass form and paperwork, and the letter... the gent went into the back room and came back with a file refering to my vehicle that had been started when they came to see it. 2 mins later walking out the door with reg number

if i was you i would contact your local dvla office. i found mine brilliant. they did say that you cannot make up a number, they have to supply it/

hope that helps a little

Make up your own chassis number to the correct format, mine is RH, model code & lottery numbers. Need to put this on your IVA application as they wont test the car without a chassis number. As for the BUI (age related plate) my engine number matched the chassis number on the donor v5. Anything from donor vehicle state as leaving the serial numbers column blank. As for reciepts the only one they wanted was the Rh kit invoice, they like to date, stamp and write on the new reg number so you cant use it again. My local DVLA is Lincoln where the office manager does the kit cars, top bloke.