Dashboard Padding

Guest AndyJones

Guest AndyJones
<_< Hi can any one help? I am working on my dash, and was wondering, if I need to put padding under the vynle for the IVA, and if so how thick should it be????, cheers

Guest The Modfather
<_< Hi can any one help? I am working on my dash, and was wondering, if I need to put padding under the vynle for the IVA, and if so how thick should it be????, cheers

I've not been thru the IVA, but I have read somewhere on here that it had to be paded, but how thick i'm not sure.

HTH

Darren

hi,

it may have changed from SVA but you used to just have to radius any sharp edges. I padded mine anyway with 1/2 foam under the vinyl, but people often use camping mats as its relatively inexpensive and easy to get. i can't believe that it would have to be particaularly padded as production cars aren't really padded, often quite hard plastic, but i haven't read the iva.

I failed sva on sharp edges up under the dash/footwell area so be aware that any bolt heads sticking into the footwell will fail. There is a certain height above which it doesn't matter. I ended up boxing it all in which looked better in the end anyway.

hth

Guest AndyJones
hi,

it may have changed from SVA but you used to just have to radius any sharp edges. I padded mine anyway with 1/2 foam under the vinyl, but people often use camping mats as its relatively inexpensive and easy to get. i can't believe that it would have to be particaularly padded as production cars aren't really padded, often quite hard plastic, but i haven't read the iva.

I failed sva on sharp edges up under the dash/footwell area so be aware that any bolt heads sticking into the footwell will fail. There is a certain height above which it doesn't matter. I ended up boxing it all in which looked better in the end anyway.

hth

Cheers for that, I think i am going down the camping mat behind the vynle route, cheers

Guest Noddy006

Hi Andy

I not sure if you need to pad the actual face of the dash but the bottom edge is supposed to have a 19mm radius (I think) also no sharp edges on dials, lights etc. etc. HTH Ian H

the requirements are the same as the SVA, dash can be solid, in which case it must have a radius of 19mm on the bottom edge, or if the bottom edge is padded to the same density as an eraser it can have a radius of 6mm. Usual thing is, if you pad your dash its as easy to carry on and do the bottom edge.

Switches, gauges etc must not project more than 10mm from the face of the dash and anything that projects over 5mm must be blunted or have a radius of 2.5mm.

There is an exempted area behind and around the steering wheel, where you could mount a ceremonial dagger or some other dangerous instruments if the urge takes you. Search on here or elsewhere on the net for the IVA manual, download it, and use it as your reference book