Covering Sharp Bits For Sva

Guest Guy

Hi all, well it's SVA next Monday (9th) and I'm realy looking forward to it ;) actually I'll be happy if I just get there and back! Here are a few of my last minute worries:

- The cycle wing brackets, how have others protected them?

- The large ring on the headlamps that holds the glass in is a bit sharp where the screw goes, is a dollop of clear sealent okay?

- The M8 bolts in the chassis on the floor of the cockpit that hold my seat in, do I need to cover them?

- The stearing column mounting plate, does he stick his hands all over my column?

- I havn't got a cover on my boot so I can look strait at the fuel tank, axels and the road, is this okay?

- I don't have a proper bonnet prop (it's a lenkth of wood) is this okay?

- The return folds on the bonet that sit in the cockpit, have you all protected these?

Guest gordon_macnab

Guy,

Best bet is to get some snap on edging and put it over anything you think may fail, better too much than not enough, also get a bag of nut covers from Tiffosi and put them over any nut or bolt head you can see on the front suspension/ball joints/track rod ends/anti roll bar etc, you also may fail on the edges of the bonnet bolts being too sharp, easiest is to turn them around and put a nut cover over the bolt on the outside, and fix a bit of carpet over the bolt head on the inside.

The cycle wing brakets will fail if theedges aren't protected, I ended up fixing small bits of snap on trim on the front edges helped to stay on by some silicon dealant, put some trim around the top suspension mount/headlight bracket, I also cut rubber a gaitor and tied this round the adjusting nut on the coil spring. The headlights should be ok.

Just stick a small square of carpet over the bolt heads with some diouble sided tape. anything above the bottom line of the dash should be exempt but again two minutes with some edging for belt and braces. The bonnet return edges will need covering. Not sure about the boot as I had boxed mine in prior to SVA. One of the fails on the first attempt was nut covers that you could remove (obviously). I sorted this with some silicon sealant.

Another small fail point was the brake hoses where the metal swage meets the rubber hose, I had fitted nut covers over the main nut but the examiner said the end of the swage needed something too.

Fill in the screw recesses in the front indicators and repeaters with silicon, I remember someone failing these for sharp edges.

Hope you get on ok

Gordon

- The cycle wing brackets, how have others protected them?

I put nut covers on the bolts holding the various bits of tube together. Available from Tifosi.

- The large ring on the headlamps that holds the glass in is a bit sharp where the screw goes, is a dollop of clear sealent okay?

Mine passed as they were - nothing added.

- The M8 bolts in the chassis on the floor of the cockpit that hold my seat in, do I need to cover them?

Not quite sure what you mean here. Under the car then no, you don't need to cover anything. Inside the cockpit - isn't the seat covering it?

- The stearing column mounting plate, does he stick his hands all over my column?

There's a bit of dubious interpretation over how much of the under dash area is tested. I believe the latest version is that anything above the horizontal of the front of the dash is not tested, but I may be wrong about this. People have definitely failed on this sort of thing before. Choices are a) Leave it as it is and see what they say, B) Put a cover of some sort (carpet?) above the footwells both sides, c) Put a strip of edge trim on the column bracket.

- I havn't got a cover on my boot so I can look strait at the fuel tank, axels and the road, is this okay?

Yes, so long as the rivets holding the back panel on are not sharp, and the edge of the metal is below the horizontal line across the back of the car - ie the edge of the panel counts as inside the boot area rather than the upper or outer surface of the car. Velcro and a piece of vinyl over the whole area did the job for me.

- I don't have a proper bonnet prop (it's a lenkth of wood) is this okay?

I don't think you can fail for not having a bonnet prop, but I guess the piece of wood may count as part of the car, and hence you need to store it securely. I used the sierra prop, but I have a modified bonnet setup.

- The return folds on the bonet that sit in the cockpit, have you all protected these?

Around the sides and top of the dash you mean? Put some edge trim on it.

Ant

Guest Charles B

Self amalg tape is useful stuff round brackets, brake hoses etc. It's classified as permanent as you would have to cut it off to remove it.

The boot could be a problem depending on your SVA centre. Up in Newcastle mine failed first time for having the boot open. He said with no cover, anything sharp inside was a fail, it seems other test centres have a different idea!

But he wasn't interested in anything behind the dashboard or down the footwell, so I suppose if in doubt, cover everything you can...

Thanks for all the replys chaps,

I've bought 10M of rubber trim from Woolies and I'm sticking it on all the bits I can. I've also orderd a new pair of lower track controll arms from RH to correct the self centering.

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Hi Guy

good look with your SVA - are you going to use the RH sub k exhaust ??

mine is really loud and I wondered if you have tamed it or if you are just going to give it a try ???

steve