Sealing The Pinto Thermostat Housing

peter_m7uk

Had a problem with a leaky thermostat housing on my Pinto, so took it off to have a look at the mating surfaces. I cleaned up the surface on the head, which was a bit pitted, but not too bad, then found that the seal still wasn't much good. I finally looked at the housing itself, although I thought it must be fine, as it was clean and had previously sealed onto that head....

The bloody thing is nowhere near flat!! I can't understand what has happened, but if I put it on any flat surface, it rocks about! So I'm considering my options. Can't seem to find a brand new one on the net, apart from Burtonpower. They want £27.50! Anyone know where I can get a new one cheaper? I also wondered if I could get the face machined flat - Anyone tried that??

Cheers,

Pete B)

Guest The Modfather

Place various grades of wet and dry taped down on to a very flat surface (mirror, thick MDF, kitchen worktop etc) and using a figure of 8 motion, rub the face of the housing on the coarsest grade first using WD40 or light oil (3 in 1). Work through the various grades, but ensure that you move the housing around in your grip so that you don't end up with an angled face.

I use this everytime and works perfectly.Youcould ask a machining firm to take a couple of thou off the face, but do you trust them, I don't!

HTH

Darren

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Pete

Place a peice of coarse grit paper on a VERY FLAT surface, glass or MDF and rub away with the housing.

You will be suprised how well it flats the surface.

Once flat use a finer paper just to finish off.

HTHs

Hi Pete when iv had this problem iv put a piece ov sandpaper on a flat surface and rubbed the housing on it until flat and put a new gasket on with a bit ov sealer .

Bernie :D

Thanks all, seems like you agree, then!!

I'm still bemused at how this happens. How can a housing that mated before suddenly stop mating? Weird!

I also had a problem with my coolant pump seal, but that was a brand new pump and the block face was very clean, so I bought an expensive Cometic gasket. Haven't filled the engine up again to try it, but fingers crossed! If that doesn't seal, I don't know what to do!! :huh:

Pete :D

Guest mcramsay
Thanks all, seems like you agree, then!!

I'm still bemused at how this happens. How can a housing that mated before suddenly stop mating? Weird!

I also had a problem with my coolant pump seal, but that was a brand new pump and the block face was very clean, so I bought an expensive Cometic gasket. Haven't filled the engine up again to try it, but fingers crossed! If that doesn't seal, I don't know what to do!! :huh:

if its that warped then use a thick rubber gasket. that will seal it

Hi all,

Filled her up with coolant again tonight, the moment of truth! Glad to say everything is dry :D :good: :D

The trick of flattening the housing face with sandpaper on a mirror worked a treat, in combination with a bit of red sealant.

Coolant pump also sealed well after rubbing the block face a little and using the mega gasket.

Thanks a lot!

PS Hope it's all good when the system is up to pressure, but think it should be sorted...