Engine And Gearbox Fitting

Thrashed

Hi all.

Had a day from he'll trying to get the pinto into my zero. Managed to keep most of my skin but once in I have found that nothing sits right. The starter motor housing in the bell house hits the chassis rail upright and the gear box will not sit back far enough as the mounting on the gearbox which fits onto the chassis mount is too short and leave about 35mm of the inner prop exposed.

My questions are:

1. Can I just cut a bit of the bellhousing off to make it fit

2. I have only ever welded mild steel. Can I weld a plate over the bit I cut off as I guess the bellhousing will be case iron.

3. How do I get the gear box to sit far enough back as the square mount on the gear box fits neatly in the square mount on the chassis. It this also in need of surgery?

4. Will the standard alternator fit in it's original position or does this need modifying?

Thanks for the advise guys

Steve

Guest mcramsay

yeah you will need to cut a meaty wedge of of the gearbox where the starter sits. i did one cut with a hacksaw and then used an angle grinder to just remove a bit more material untill the gearbox fitted. i would reccomend unbolting the gearbox from the engine and then cut a bit off the startermotor housing and then offer the gearbox up. will save lugging the engine in and out a few times. i dont think the bellhousing is cast. you might have a different one but im pretty certain mine is made of steel so welding shouldnt be a problem but if im honest i think a good plastering with silicone sealer will hold the plate on just nicely! as for the gearbox issue, i never had this issue and im struggling to understand what you mean! so i cant really offer you any advice on that one. but yeah cut a chunk off the starter housing and she will slide right in!

Guest andybaker
Hi all.

Had a day from he'll trying to get the pinto into my zero. Managed to keep most of my skin but once in I have found that nothing sits right. The starter motor housing in the bell house hits the chassis rail upright and the gear box will not sit back far enough as the mounting on the gearbox which fits onto the chassis mount is too short and leave about 35mm of the inner prop exposed.

My questions are:

1. Can I just cut a bit of the bellhousing off to make it fit

2. I have only ever welded mild steel. Can I weld a plate over the bit I cut off as I guess the bellhousing will be case iron.

3. How do I get the gear box to sit far enough back as the square mount on the gear box fits neatly in the square mount on the chassis. It this also in need of surgery?

4. Will the standard alternator fit in it's original position or does this need modifying?

Thanks for the advise guys

Steve

Hi

1. Yes you have to cut a lump out of the bell housing to make it fit,

2. If you are using a type 9 box as I have mine has a cast iron bell housing so it’s ok to stick or screw a plate over the hole.

3. Once I had cut the bell housing the box sat in the right place, so should not be a problem

4. The standard alternator will not fit in the original position there are several options on the fit I used an alternator from a mini tractor which is much smaller (£35 from e-bay) and fabricated a mounting that fitted in the original position and the adjuster strap went on the thermostat housing bolt. Have got some photos which i can mail you if you want.

Hope this helps Andy

Guest scrabster

hi, cut the gearbox with a grinder,mine was cast so i made a plate from aluminium and riveted it pu adhesive aswell.there is a triangle shaped bit of the aluminium gearbox which you could grind a bit of if it fouls on the mounting but try with the wedge cut of first.i also had to grind the starter motor where the bolt goes through as it hit the chassis when going over bumps or holes.i even bought a new rubber gearbox mount thinking the rubber had gone soft with age but it was no better than the old one. i also used a small altenator and made a bracket up,it sits nicely under the steering shaft.hth.

jess.