Sliding Pillar

keith kelly

Hi,

decided to take my sliding pillars to bits as i did'nt build the car and wanted to check the condition of them before it goes back on the road in april. Upon inspection i believe i require 2 new bottom rubber bits as they are very worn ( Exscuse the non mechanical term) and two new bearing things that the suspention pillar sits on as mine are cracked. Does anyone know where i can get hold of the above or recomment anything else that i should considder replacing at the same time (other than the sliding pillar suspention that is).

i will try and take pics and upload but im sure some of you will know what i mean

many thanks

keith

(only intended to fit longer wheel studs, got carried away oops)

Guest jaybeee

I have the same trouble with mine and I swapped them for a new ball bearing from a bearing supplier. The bearings are from the front shock from the ford sierra. I believe they are part of the swivel at the top of the shock.

The rubber at the bottom is part of the bump stop on the rear suspension.

I hope this is the correct information and will bow down to anyone else with better knowledge.

Guest Techmage

Bottom rubber bits are frequently replaced with Cortina suspension compliance bushes (I belive they are part of the anti roll bar). As for the top bearing, I would suggest taking the old ones to a bearing supplier and see if they can come up with something simular but better, they wern't designed for the sort of load they get. (When you put it back together spread the load ontop of the bearing with a large washer.)

What springs do you have? There is a lot of suggestion that 8 inch 300lb springs are the way to go.

Guest nurburg2006
which bits do you have??

Hi there ive got the complete shock and springs the springs look brand new the car has not been on the road yet, I will be putting them on ebay soon

my email is cpfranklyn@hotmail.co.uk many thanks

Bottom rubber bits are frequently replaced with Cortina suspension compliance bushes (I belive they are part of the anti roll bar).

I have looked everywhere and can find any or no one seems to know what i am talking about. does anyone know where i can get the above or have a part number???

Guest Techmage
I have looked everywhere and can find any or no one seems to know what i am talking about. does anyone know where i can get the above or have a part number???

These are they I believe

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Cortina-Mk3,-Mk...217184001r18538

Although from memory I expected them to look like this without the metal insert

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRACK-CONTROL-ARM-BU...=item414aac41df