Repairing Caravan Damp

Andy Spencer

Hi all

Our old 1991 family caravan unsurprisingly got a bit of damp last year. Resealed it all and dried it out and damp meter now showing low readings, but where it was damp the wallboard has gone a bit soft so needs replacing (and I guess the insulation behind it as well, and poss a few timbers if they are rotten.)

Its a nice old van and we want to keep it going rather than fork out on a newer one which could be just as bad.

Anyone done damp repairs and any hints?

Or indeed, anyone know someone or somewhere in Leicestershire that comes recommended to do such repairs?

Cheers

Hi Andy don`t envy you the job is sometimes more hassle than it worth can be very fiddly & getting to go back the right way is a bugger try & get the panels of whole if poss & use them as templates. you acn get proper mastik for the outside edging gutter strip renew that & take out the window to reseal. its getting rid of the musty smell is the hardest.

best of luck

Andy

Its a real pain as i did one a few years back as it was rotten at the front, so took the front window out, front panel off and had to replace the rotten wood framing and the fibre glass insulation as it was soaked, inner panel also needed replaceing due to being mouldy on the back. Tanalised wood lats did the job nicely, sealer, rivets and jobs a goodun. I needed it at the time as i was working away from home and managed to save loads of my hotel expences.

Guest chris brown

Been in the same position myself. Not easy as you are working from the wrong side of the problem really it is the outer skin that should be removed, all damp or damaged timber replaced and the outer skin replaced. But doing this without having to use new outer panels is difficult to say the least. My advice would be to tart it up cosmetically and live with the knowledge that it does have some rot but providing you can keep the wood dry it shouldn’t get any worse.

Cheers, luckily its only 2 very small areas and caught it quite early, so there's only a couple of pieces to work at and luckily not behind any cupboards. Checking for damp regularly is essential if you have a van.

Thanks

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi Andy, I have been working with caravans for the last 12 years.You said you resealed your caravan competely. The best sealant you should be using is Geobond this a sealant and an adhesive. You said a couple of panels have gone soft, these will need removing so you can dry out the insluation and replace any damaged timber, then refit new panels. What readings were you getting? You should be getting readings of between 10% and 16% this is ok. 16% to25% means that a leak has started and needs looking into.Panels start going soft around 50%. Damp work can be expensive if you can do the repairs yourself it will save you some money. I could do the repairs but I live in Carmarthan west wales to far away. There is a repair centre in Derbyshire called Long Eaton Caravans Tel 01332 870007, where you should be able to get all the materials you need for the repairs. Sorry I Don't know any repairers in the Leicester area. If i can give you any more advise please give me a shout. Thanks Neil.

Thanks Neil this is really useful

All readings now 10-14%, mostly 12% even in soft areas but we did dry it out after finding the damp last year.

Resealed using mastic strip with Sikaflex 512 on the edges. Windows using mastic strip under the seal.

Just trying to find some matching wallboard now, proving to be a bit of a challenge.

Trouble with doing it myself is the van is on a storage site with no hookup etc and we haven't got room on the drive to have it sat there whilst I do it.

Might negotiate with local farmer to site it in a barn for a couple of weeks when I have a go at it.

Its worth spending a few quid on for us as its loaded with equipment for its age and has been properly serviced and new tyres last year etc.

Cheers again

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Thanks Neil this is really useful

All readings now 10-14%, mostly 12% even in soft areas but we did dry it out after finding the damp last year.

Resealed using mastic strip with Sikaflex 512 on the edges. Windows using mastic strip under the seal.

Just trying to find some matching wallboard now, proving to be a bit of a challenge.

Trouble with doing it myself is the van is on a storage site with no hookup etc and we haven't got room on the drive to have it sat there whilst I do it.

Might negotiate with local farmer to site it in a barn for a couple of weeks when I have a go at it.

Its worth spending a few quid on for us as its loaded with equipment for its age and has been properly serviced and new tyres last year etc.

heers again/quote] Hi Andy Sikaflex 512 is the same as geobond. You might find it difficult to match the wallboards as the manufactures stop making some boards after 5 years and change the design. Try the number i gave you as they are repairers and might have some old boards around. What make is your caravan you said it is 1991. Let me know i might be able to tell what the wallboard is called. Cheers Neil.

Thanks Neil, its a 1991 Swift Challenger 450/5 SE

I have seen the same wallboard in Avondales as new as 2000. I have a couple of photos of the wallboard on our home PC. Will try and upload them later but they were taken with the van under a cover and flash on so not brilliant

A pic of the old girl last year attached. Old damp is on o/s rear side window where seal went and on front n/s where awning rail starts to curve down, soft wallboard stretches on fron to bottom of front n/s window

Thanks

Andy

post-985-1266171854_thumb.jpg

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi Andy, the wallboards used by swift for your caravan were called ELGAN M . Aondale did use a simular wallboard, but Avondale went bust last year so no parts longer availble. There is an other company which sell wallboards they are called Lesiure Plus. Cheers Neil.