Which Sierra To Get

Guest big kev

Guest big kev

Ok I'm trying to find the right sierra but which one to get

do I get the 1.6, 1.8, 2.0. A pinto Dohc or splash out for a zetec

don't think the budget will allow that

oh and which reg/year would be a good choice

not got a massive budget so what you think guys

If your budget is limited go for the lowest mileage Sierra you can find; then you'll be able to confidently use most of the parts req. which are additional to the kit;the engine,gearbox,diff,hubs,brakes,loom & switches all benifit your build if low mileage,IMHO.

Guest chris brown

Sierra's are getting hard to find so you may not have a choice but if you have go for the 2ltr Pinto preferably injected that way you have a 205 block and a hardened head with slightly better “breathing” regardless as to whether you keep the injection system or not.

Pay attention to the registration rules too - if you start swapping engines around during the build you can come a cropper at registration time and end up with a Q-plate. Some people have no problem with them but in the main they are not a desireable thing and life can be much easier if you can get an age related plate. To get an age related plate you want as far as possible to use only the bits from your donor car.

As people have stated Sierras are getting a bit thin on the ground so you may not have the choice of the engine you want with low miles. My advice would be to see what's available and suitable (if not necessarily the first choice). Build the car with that and then once it's on the road allow tinkeritis to set in. If you want to go Zetec at a later date then maybe look for a CVH powered Sierra and build the car with that. Once it's on the road you can start the swap and some of the CVH bits will come in handy for the Zetec fitting and the exhaust is on the same side so hopefully the Zetec exhaust can exit the same hole in the body panel.

I am a fan though of the injected 2.0 Pinto. They are the best of the Pintos for power and reliability (not that any of them are inherently un-reliable) but they are still simple enough to lend themselves to home tinkering by the less experienced. They are also easy to convert to carbs if the injection scares you too much. The torque suits a heavier car like a Hood well and makes them a good road car. A lighter car like a Lightweight (possibly a Zero - I'm not so familiar with them) would be better suited to a Zetec and you've more power to play with when it's appropriate.

Iain

Guest carl leonard
Pay attention to the registration rules too - if you start swapping engines around during the build you can come a cropper at registration time and end up with a Q-plate. Some people have no problem with them but in the main they are not a desireable thing and life can be much easier if you can get an age related plate. To get an age related plate you want as far as possible to use only the bits from your donor car.

As people have stated Sierras are getting a bit thin on the ground so you may not have the choice of the engine you want with low miles. My advice would be to see what's available and suitable (if not necessarily the first choice). Build the car with that and then once it's on the road allow tinkeritis to set in. If you want to go Zetec at a later date then maybe look for a CVH powered Sierra and build the car with that. Once it's on the road you can start the swap and some of the CVH bits will come in handy for the Zetec fitting and the exhaust is on the same side so hopefully the Zetec exhaust can exit the same hole in the body panel.

I am a fan though of the injected 2.0 Pinto. They are the best of the Pintos for power and reliability (not that any of them are inherently un-reliable) but they are still simple enough to lend themselves to home tinkering by the less experienced. They are also easy to convert to carbs if the injection scares you too much. The torque suits a heavier car like a Hood well and makes them a good road car. A lighter car like a Lightweight (possibly a Zero - I'm not so familiar with them) would be better suited to a Zetec and you've more power to play with when it's appropriate.

Iain

Should not be a problem using a different engine but you must be able to show you've used 2 main parts from the donor vehicle - Axles / Gearbox etc. The main point is to ensure you can reference the engine your using - eg Zetec, Pinto, to ensure you meet the emissions test. You can get reference books etc for this very purpose.

When I build my recent car (not a RH) I used front hubs, rear axles and Diff only.

Carl.

Guest scrabster
Ok I'm trying to find the right sierra but which one to get

do I get the 1.6, 1.8, 2.0. A pinto Dohc or splash out for a zetec

don't think the budget will allow that

oh and which reg/year would be a good choice

not got a massive budget so what you think guys

hi kev, as i said in a previous post,come and have a look at mine if your interested,im only in wednesbury.

jess.

Guest big kev
hi kev, as i said in a previous post,come and have a look at mine if your interested,im only in wednesbury.

jess.

sound yeah pm your number to me and I'll get in touch

I'll pop down one of the nights