Iva Test Passed - At Last

Guest ollie chapman

Guest ollie chapman

Well, the Zero’s finally through the dreaded iva test second retest round. That’s a lot of money into VOSA’s pockets! I’d just like to share some of the pointers on which she failed the original test, then the retest. 1. Seats. Some of the older type seats still advertised in the usual carbits suppliers WILL NOT pass an iva test. The top of the head restraint must be 700mm at least from the base of the seat up the back section. Old seats were not tall enough and even when the headrest was extended it meant the gap beneath the bottom of the headrest and the top of the seat was too great. Suggestion: You can use these seats if you make your own padded head restraint going behind the seats from one side of the roll bar to other to the right specs – then discard it once through iva. We bought new seats.

2.Side repeaters. We put ours first in the sides just in front of the bulkhead to the regulation height. They failed because: they could not be seen from the rear of the car at the required angle of vision. Answer: new indicators on the wingmirror bottom edges. Warning: they only just let these through – better to put them on the top edge to be sure. I told them ‘this is what we saw at Chester Sports Cars on the Tigers ‘ – and they allowed it but said the indicator would be best on top of the mirrors. Do also disconnect any side repeaters wired into the front panels if that’s where you’ve put them. You are allowed only one side repeater per side.

3. Watch out for wiring going through the body skin – it must have a grommet in the hole with the wiring through the grommet. Whilst we’re on wiring, make sure it is secured every 300 mm.

4. Steering wheel padding. My race type wheel failed – I had to pad all of the spokes – especially where it meets the rim. Leave nothing to chance here.

5. Interior Mirror. Needs padding around the rim of the mirror. My Racetech mirror wasn’t. Also, where it bolts into the bodywork put a rubber shroud on. Steering knuckle joint boots are excellent.

6. Exhaust bracket. Where the 4 into one is joined to the silencer. Wrap the pipe clip well in fibreglass tape or something like it. Also, where the silencer bracket meets the body – I used another knuckle joint boot here. All bolt/nut heads also cover with iva caps.

7. If you FAIL the test DO NOT strip any padding/protection off what has passed before the retest. I took the front grille off to be rechromed – and all the guts ie horn, hose clips etc behind it failed the retest.

8. Front shocker lower adjustment ring. Watch this, it needs padding.

9. Fog light. Make sure it comes on only with dip/full beam and has its own tell tale. The panel light in the rocker switch was a no-no. Replaced it with a switch with one (amber) light which only comes on with the foglight. Sellotaped on the foglight symbol.

10. Hazards. Don’t use the Sierra hazard switch on top of the steering column unless it works independently with no other hazard switches wired in. Mine failed, I could switch the hazards on with the sierra switch and on and off with the dashboard hazard switch. It’s one or the other not both.

11. Watch your fuel hose doesn’t foul the rear drive shaft! That’s a no-brainer really – mine was very close and failed.

12. Passenger side dashboard padding. Make sure the lower edge is rounded and padded under the leatherette.

13. Other stuff included locknuts on brake/steering components bolted to chassis, locking tabs on steering column connections in place, evidence required of seat belt mounting bolts – take pictures to show them clearly in situ, one each bolt – padding to the seatbelt upper anchorages, grub screw on gearknob :o (!), spreader plates (large penny washers) on bolts securing rear hub assembly to suspension unit. Loose wiring under dashboard (cable ties fix this) Shrouds (foam and plenty of tape) around track rod ends, top steering joints – any sharp edges where the 100mm sphere can get to.

Best thing to do is get a printout of the IVA manual from VOSA – it’s the thickness of two phone books. Read it – interpret it – apply it. I thought I had – and failed twice!

Get the car tuned up first. Our old Pinto was coughing and spluttering first test and couldn’t even make high enough revs to take the rolling road and emissions test! So be warned! But after tune-up, emissions and rev-counter and speedo tests were bang on.

One final word about the lads at Chadderton test centre. They have a job to do, and although it can seem pedantic, when you see the scale of the place and the vehicles coming through for this commercial test you just have to accept their observations. They were friendly and gave lots of good advice. Thanks guys, it was nice to know you! B)

Any questions, please pm me. Cheers

Guest youngsterS3

well done mate,

I just recently helped a friend get his tiger through the IVA, having got my series 3 through one of the last SVAs.(thankfully!!!)

A lot of it is the same, but the seats needed careful consideration. We ended up having to put the side repeaters on the front wheel arches, towards the back. If you put them on the wing mirrors and go too high(or too low, can't remember), I think the angles of visibility change and become impossible. definitely check the manual on this one. -- what a crazy rule too.

only the palava of registration to go and you can hit the open road :)

Chris

Guest ollie chapman
well done mate,

I just recently helped a friend get his tiger through the IVA, having got my series 3 through one of the last SVAs.(thankfully!!!)

A lot of it is the same, but the seats needed careful consideration. We ended up having to put the side repeaters on the front wheel arches, towards the back. If you put them on the wing mirrors and go too high(or too low, can't remember), I think the angles of visibility change and become impossible. definitely check the manual on this one. -- what a crazy rule too.

only the palava of registration to go and you can hit the open road :)

Chris

Thanks mate - just hoping for some good weather B)

Guest ollie chapman
well done Ollie, great to see you finally got through the test, some good pointers there for those going for the test

Thanks Steve - got there in the end. Finally got a nice compliment from the IVA testers on build quality too B)

The SVA felt tough enough so getting throught the IVA is a stunning job.... well done.

You will not belive howmany times someone say's, "nice car mate" and you have to reply " I built that"

Enjoy.

Guest ollie chapman
The SVA felt tough enough so getting throught the IVA is a stunning job.... well done.

You will not belive howmany times someone say's, "nice car mate" and you have to reply " I built that"

Enjoy.

Thanks mate - by the way, what bhp do you get out of your 2.1 pinto and what's it had done to it? Cheers B)